How do I remove labels from Stone bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdboy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've pretty much got my label removal process down, with the exception of a growing contingent of Stone bottles that all have those silkscreened labels that I still haven't figured out how to remove en masse. One bottle? Probably I could scrape it off with a razor or something. A case of them? No clue.

So, if you've figured this trick out, please share it.

Dip them in acid maybe? I really don't think you can but maybe, just maybe, I'm wrong.

I'd say give up on removing the screened labels on Rogue, Stone, and Hair of the Dog beers.

Better to find a recycling center to swap bottles. Since CA has a redemption value, and that value is the same for any bottle, you might be able to swap out your stone bottles (or even other 12 oz bottles) for normal labeled 22 oz bottles.

Myself, I go to my LHBS after they have a tasting and I ask if I can have their leftover 22 ounce bottles. LHBS patrons know that homebrewers buy more microbrew than anyone, so they're always happy to get rid of those bottle, save them a trip to the recycling center. If the redemption value is an issue, they may be willing to swap bottles with you.

When I lived in Oregon, I used to take 12 ounce bottles and swap them with a local grocery store for 22 ounce bottles and 64 ounce growlers. Since the deposit was 5 cents no matter the size of the bottles, I was able to amass a ton of 22's and growlers with a few cases of 12s.

Good luck.

Maybe you could go the other direction, and paint over them.

(I don't know if you can or not, just popped into my head.)

Holy crap! Thanks ChshreCat for the good link. I've got a ton of starsan so I guess I'm giving that a shot today in my homer bucket.

Make sure you read through the thread. There were different experiments involving concentrations and times to soak the bottles.

I've successfully used a normal strength starsan solution to get the silkscreened labels off stone bottles. Just let them soak for a week or two. If it doesn't wipe off with the rough side of one of those sponges with the rough green stuff, then stick it back in for another week and try again. There will end up being slightly darker parts of the bottle where the writing was even once it's off, but it's very subtle and can only be seen at certain angles.

WTF Arrogant Bastard cheap at Costco?

I've been trying to get my Costco to carry anything Stone related.... to no avail... Now I'm pissed....

Around 6pm last night I threw a bunch of bottles into a starsan solution made with approximately 2.5 oz of starsan per 5 gallons of tap water.

This morning (say, T+14 hours), I've got results.

Stone IPA 12oz: mostly wiped clean with rough side of a sponge, some with stubborn spots that wouldn't come off with extended scrubbing

Stone IPA 22oz: wiped clean

Stone Vertical Epic '08 and '09: wiped off easily

Stone Cali-Belgique IPA: probably the easiest one. I think the gold paint (same as vertical epic) is the easiest to remove.

Stone Pale Ale: White part wipes off easily, red part required a bit of work but scrubbed off clean.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout: No problem!

Alesmith Anvil: wiped clean pretty easily

Alesmith IPA, X: Mostly wiped clean, but each had one or two decent-sized spots that simply wouldn't come off

McGarvey's Scottish Ale: The yellow parts wiped off easily, but the orange parts didn't budge at all, leaving the bottle with a sort of negative image effect that looks cool.

Bison Brewing French Farmhouse Ale: No change whatsoever.

All the bottles that still had spots of paint still stuck on them, or in the case of the McGarveys and Farmhouse Ale bottles, significant portions stuck on them, I put them back in the solution to sit. I will probably check again in another 12 hours or so.

I had some Rogue bottles, but they must have beer in them sitting in a case somewhere, or perhaps have otherwise ventured forth into the world.

Anyway, here's an update:

Day 2
I was enjoying a Fuller's ESB last night and didn't get off my butt to check on the bottles. However, I did check on them this morning, approximately 24 hours later.

With the exception of the Bison Brewing French Farmhouse Ale bottle, all of the others came clean today. The Bison Brewing bottle did show very small signs of wear. Some tiny spots where paint appears to have chipped off, and one place where I scrubbed with the sponge was definitely a different shade as if part of the paint had come off when I wiped it. But, further scrubbing didn't appear to improve the situation, so I threw it back in the solution for the time being.

There is an acidic (I think citric acid) product for dish washers - powder- called lemishine (sp?). Mix 1 tsp in 4c of hot water and let the bottle sit for 20min. Paint will wipe right off. I have done this with Stone anyway with no problems

I've pretty much got my label removal process down, with the exception of a growing contingent of Stone bottles that all have those silkscreened labels that I still haven't figured out how to remove en masse. One bottle? Probably I could scrape it off with a razor or something. A case of them? No clue.

So, if you've figured this trick out, please share it.

Super easy. Submerge them in CLR for 30 minutes. Wipe off, then rinse very very well (you don't want to drink that crap).

Works for any "painted" label bottle.

Latest posts

Back