My very own keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakobrau

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's been operational for about a month now... I've been meaning to post pics :)

IMG_1352.small.jpg

7cu freezer, fits 4 cornies, attached to nothing but Perlicks of course ;)

On tap (left to right): Oatmeal Stout, Bavarian Lager, Belgian Ale, Red Ale. All extracts for now (see below).

2 carboys at bottom right are 12 gallons of EdWort's famous Apfelwein. I actually went out to a farm outside of town to buy the pure apple juice. I can't seem to find any Montrachet Wine Yeast locally, so I went with Lalvin wine and champagne yeast. Hopefully that's just as good. I intend to keg one, probably the wine yeast as previous experiments have shown me that it doesn't carbonate naturally as well as the other, and it is sweeter which makes it more suitable for kegging I find.

The two dark 1 gallon jugs at the top left are my very first forays into partial mash. I split the recipe in 2 and am trying 2 different yeasts in parallel. The fermentation from the Nottingham was violent and actually blew the airlock in the middle of the night! I think the finished product will be dark enough to warrant being called "Vader Stout", which was the goal all along ;)

Damn I could have sworn I had a closet full of empty boxes here just a few months ago. Best hobby ever :rockin:

If you have any pics on the inside of your setup it might help me when I build mine. Iam looking for forms on how to make my own, do you have any adivce?

If you have any pics on the inside of your setup it might help me when I build mine. Iam looking for forms on how to make my own, do you have any adivce?

Sure, what would you like to know? I had quite a few questions myself before committing to it, but actually in the end it was quite a bit simpler than I expected to assemble.

I'm afraid the interior really isn't that sexy at the moment. I bought some velcro with the intention on stapling it against the interior wood, so I can strap the tubing against the walls of the collar.

As you can see from my photo, space is extremely limited but you can still fit 4 comfortably in a freezer that isn't even 3' wide. So in my situation, space for the freezer itself determined the number of kegs I would eventually have, and not the other way around. I cut out some 9" diameter cardboard (pizza boxes) to use as keg templates, which I brought to the appliance stores to "test" if the kegs would fit before I purchased the freezer. Turns out the cornies are actually more like 8.5", so I had "plenty" of room to spare (which is nice).

I should mention the 4th keg sits on the compressor hump - it can only fit vertically thanks to my 10" collar.

Which part are you struggling with at the moment?

I was going to welcome you to the club, as well as warn you about keeping your brew coming as you'll drink more now... but it looks like you have everything under control!!!

That set up is sweet.. With that I couldnt find myself to be able to go to work I would just wanna make and drink more beer.lol I want to start kegging my beer and do you have any advice on someone makeing there own? Anything you would have changed? How long have you been brewing? Thanks Jeff

I was going to welcome you to the club, as well as warn you about keeping your brew coming as you'll drink more now... but it looks like you have everything under control!!!

Way ahead of you on that one... The brewing aspect is more fun than I had expected. I frequently run out of bottles and production grinds to a halt occasionally. :eek:

I want to start kegging my beer and do you have any advice on someone makeing there own? Anything you would have changed? How long have you been brewing? Thanks Jeff

I've been brewing for only about 6mths now. Ya, I know, it's gotten out of control quick :)

Changes in my keezer setup? Not really. Like I said it's pretty straight forward, thanks to the info I got from browsing these forums mostly. I can write down my list of parts for you if that would help get your shopping list going, there's nothing terribly exotic about my setup however.

I typed up some random thoughts for you above. If you have any questions this is a great forum to pose them!

Back