McMaster Quick Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I want to order some QD's from McMaster but I'm confused on dimensions. All my ball valves & couplings for my kegs and tun are 1/2" ID as measured (not sure what that means per pipe size).

I'd like to get 3/8" barbs but I can't figure out what thread size I'm really looking to order. That and I know some have safety valves that can restrict flow which I want to avoid. There's just way too much out there and I know others ordered here. Any part # and comments? Oh, and I just got a march pump thats playing in the mix naturally.

Thanks!

For the male plugs with 1/2" NPT threads, you want 6739K59.

For the female coupling, you want 6739K62 for 3/8" barb. However, I highly recommend you consider using 1/2" tubing. I've used both and the difference in flow rate is considerable. If you want to use 1/2" barbs on the female coupling, then you want 6739K64.

Hope that helps.

I guess you really need to figure out if you have 1/2"NPT or 3/8"NPT. 1/2" male pipe thread measures closer to 3/4" actual OD. 3/8" MPT is more like 1/2" actual OD.

The 3/8" MPT to male QD is 6739K57. Use these on all your vessels at only $1 each.

The female QD part with the 1/2" hose barb (forget 3/8) is 6739K68. These are the right angle ones and let the hose go straight down. In other words, the fitting makes the bend to the floor instead of your hose (which might kink). Maybe.

I just have my hoses directly connected to the pump with hose barbs but you could duplicate the QDs there as well (I might in the future). Each hose would get a female QD (sleeve) on both ends. You'll just have to put the 1/2" female NPT to male QD on the pump.

It's confusing, but once you look at the catalog page on the site, it's easy to understand.

Right, I didn't think about the possibility that he may actually be using 3/8" fittings, not 1/2". If he is using 3/8" fittings, then would using 1/2" barbs & hoses really buy him anything.

am I missing something in my search for a 1/2" stainless ball valve from McMaster Carr?

I've come across part # 46495K61 which is listed as a 1/2"type 316 stainless steel ball valve that's listed at $26.48.

Seems a little spendy to me, but I'm utterly clueless about these sort of things. Is this what I need for my keggle and is that a fair price?

Matt_and_Katie said:
am I missing something in my search for a 1/2" stainless ball valve from McMaster Carr?

I've come across part # 46495K61 which is listed as a 1/2"type 316 stainless steel ball valve that's listed at $26.48.

Seems a little spendy to me, but I'm utterly clueless about these sort of things. Is this what I need for my keggle and is that a fair price?

They are a little pricy on their stainless fittings. Try http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6515.htm

or for that same $26, you can have the better 3-piece variety http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6525.htm

Of course, ebay is a salvation if you have time to wait.

Thanks for the info & part #'s guys. They're 1/2" NPT. I bought two of em from http://www.greatbargain.net/order/index.html. I'm going to switch out to 1/2" tubing as well. Something just had me stuck on 3/8 from previous ghetto equip I had and re-use.

FYI Matt & Katie the link above has SS ball valves and all the SS hardware for a kettle for $30. Looks like they don't sell only the valve though.

The female QD part with the 1/2" hose barb (forget 3/8) is 6739K68. These are the right angle ones and let the hose go straight down. In other words, the fitting makes the bend to the floor instead of your hose (which might kink). Maybe.

Someone help me out here, I feel like a 'tard every time I try to actually find what I'm looking for on McMaster-Carr's site.

I want the version of the 6739K68 that doesn't have the 90 degree elbow in it, because this is at the march pump, and because of the way I have it mounted, I want them to be straight. Li'l help?

Someone help me out here, I feel like a 'tard every time I try to actually find what I'm looking for on McMaster-Carr's site.

I want the version of the 6739K68 that doesn't have the 90 degree elbow in it, because this is at the march pump, and because of the way I have it mounted, I want them to be straight. Li'l help?

Like these?

EDIT:

Bad link. This looks to be the same item without the 90.

Item 6739K64

item_coolant_6739k35.gif

Yeah, found it. Thanks.

Hey, does anyone know why they only have the male side of the QD with female 1/2" NPT connection in zinc-plated steel, and not brass? The male npt version comes in brass! I'm guessing that zinc-plated steel isn't kosher for wort to be touching...

Yeah, found it. Thanks.

Hey, does anyone know why they only have the male side of the QD with female 1/2" NPT connection in zinc-plated steel, and not brass? The male npt version comes in brass! I'm guessing that zinc-plated steel isn't kosher for wort to be touching...

Yeah, it is a real head scratcher. The easy solution is to get the female, then get a threaded nipple.

Yeah, so I just ordered the brass QD's. Was going to get a coupling from McM-C, but them sh*ts was like $4.11 each. I know for a fact that they're less than half that much at lowes.

How do you connect the coupling pieces to the hose? It looks like it is a screw on type fitting, can I just jam it into the hose and use a hose clamp or is there another piece I need to buy. Thanks guys

Yeah, found it. Thanks.

+1 on the barbed FEMALE couplers.

Here is what I used...

7 6739K59 High Flow Hose Coupling For Coolant, Plug, 1/2" Nptf Male, 3/8"
6 6739K64 High Flow Hose Coupling For Coolant, Sleeve-lck Sckt X Barb, 3/8"cplg Sz,1/2"hose Id

Has anyone found a good source for replacement seals for these? It's going to suck if I've got to replace the entire female sleeve every time I have a seal wear out or get damaged. They're not o-rings. They look like a short piece of high-temp silicon tubing.

Has anyone found a good source for replacement seals for these? It's going to suck if I've got to replace the entire female sleeve every time I have a seal wear out or get damaged. They're not o-rings. They look like a short piece of high-temp silicon tubing.

I just figured they were cheap enough to keep a few of each in my tool box

I realize the original is like a 1/4" length of silicone tubing but I can think of two DIY fixes. The first would be a stack of a few silicone orings that fit in that opening tight. The other is literaly a short piece of silicone tubing. If you bouht one foot, you'd have 50 replacements.

I might do the silicon tubing thing, but the trick would be a nice, flat cut on the face. I guess I need to measure the seal to see what size we're dealing with.

Hi
I have been struggling to learn and understand quick disconnects. I have spent a lot of time at the Mc Master's site and come up with either parts that do not match, or, cost $30.00 - 45.00.

I have valve fittings that are 1/2" NPT. I want to use 1/2" ID tubing.

I have a March pump that will be mounted so I need a 90 degree elbow.

Anybody have a similar system? And, would you provide some Mc Master part numbers?

BTW - as I searched this site, I found a number of parts/links that end up having, "coupling sizes" of 3/8". Is that really what I am seeking?

Thanks

Yeah, the nipple part of the QD is 3/8" but it's not a horrible restriction. I'm getting great flow rates.

The way I currently have it setup is the male QD nipple with 1/2" Male NPT parts go into all the ball valves on my vessels and also on the input of the march via 1/2" female coupling. It also goes into the ball valve that's on the output of the march pump.

item 6739K59
6739k52_l.gif

I then have two hose setups that have the QD (1/2 hose barb, elbow version) on each end.
item 6739K68
item_coolant_6739k92.gif

It gives me any "from" and "to" that I want, and also disconnects so I can throw them in my dishwasher from time to time.

The male plugs you want that thread into your 1/2" valves are 6739K59. The female sleves with 1/2" barbs and 90º elbows are 6739K68. The coupling size is 3/8" - don't sweat it, it's the right one.

TY Bobby & Sparky

I just placed my order. I will have the parts tomorrow. Unbelievable service at Mc Master's.

I placed my first order with McMaster-Carr. On the plus side, I live in the Chicago suburbs and the disconnects are shipping from their Chicago warehouse so very quick delivery. On the downside, their IL location means I have to pay IL sales tax on the order.

I placed my first order with McMaster-Carr. On the plus side, I live in the Chicago suburbs and the disconnects are shipping from their Chicago warehouse so very quick delivery. On the downside, their IL location means I have to pay IL sales tax on the order.

Yah I get McMaster NEXT DAY in Indianapolis too!

next day in nyc from jersey as well. amazing.

did you guys "pickle" these brass fittings? i keep seeing conflicting information as to whether or not you need to do that with brass.

Yep, I even get next day service up here in Calgary.

It definitely can't hurt to pickle all your brass fittings. It is easy and takes very little time. But it is debatable whether there is enough surface lead on those fittings to cause any kind of health concern. Personally, I think no-lead is best but I don't lose sleep over it either.

I'm looking to buy the same quick disconnects Bobby M posted from McMaster to go from BK to pump, then pump to Mash tun

Will I have any corrosion issues using yellow brass threaded into stainless?

No, not really. Most people have been using the combination for a while. Here is a detailed table of the galvanic series. Yellow brass and stainless steel are essentially right next to each other.

The way I currently have it setup is the male QD nipple with 1/2" Male NPT parts go into all the ball valves on my vessels and also on the input of the march via 1/2" female coupling. It also goes into the ball valve that's on the output of the march pump.

item 6739K59
6739k52_l.gif

I then have two hose setups that have the QD (1/2 hose barb, elbow version) on each end.
item 6739K68
item_coolant_6739k92.gif

I'm not seeing what you do for the input on the march pump. Can you describe that a bit more with part numbers?

Ahhh, I get it now. A slight case of dumbassitis.

This 1/2 coupling goes on the input of the March pump:

f2.jpg

This goes into the 1/2 coupling:

6739K59_5_MPT.gif

The hose then has this on each end (from either he HLT, MLT or BK):

6739K64_5_female.gif

Back