Threads you are tired of seeing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched my yeast yesterday as soon as I turned the burner off, today I still have no airlock activity! Should I rack to secondary?

Honestly the repetitive threads don't bother me. Folks gotta learn somehow...

I generally do a Google search when I have a question about brewing, and Google generally leads me here for the answer. But you know what else I see when I do the Google search that really interests me? An evolution of ideas and best practices over the last several years, and it is really cool to follow the logic and lessons behind the evolution. What was considered to be necessary to make good beer in 2006 isn't always the same as what we follow for best practices today. "Primary only vs. using a secondary" is a great example. If new threads weren't started about the same topics from time to time, we'd be stuck following the ideas from John Palmer's first edition of How To Brew and the like as sacred gospel. Beginners are more likely to ask the questions, simply because they haven't had a chance to become set in their ways, and we all end up learning more as the dialogue progresses and new information is brought to the table.

I'm not "tired of seeing it" but I can't imagine any other forum on the Internet where I would click on a thread with the title "Does this look infected?"

On my first visit here it was with great trepidation that I finally clicked one of those threads.

I like it that this forum welcomes new people with stupid questions and ask's other members not to tell them to do a search. Many people just want a pat on the back, telling them what they want to hear. What really ticks me off are thread titles that have no information or are misleading and everyone running around saying "it's got lead in it, you're going to die" When something does have lead in it, I'll never know, because everything has a label saying "may contain lead", it kinda makes the label useless.

mikescooling said:
I like it that this forum welcomes new people with stupid questions and ask's other members not to tell them to do a search. Many people just want a pat on the back, telling them what they want to hear. What really ticks me off are thread titles that have no information or are misleading and everyone running around saying "it's got lead in it, you're going to die" When something does have lead in it, I'll never know, because everything has a label saying "may contain lead", it kinda makes the label useless.

I was searching around yesterday about a low final gravity, and what some options are for raising the final gravity. I found a thousand threads titled "final gravity".

That really bothers me, because it would be so easy to use a few words to accurately describe what the thread is about.

I really do not care when I see a duplicated thread. Typically its beginner questions or people looking for information who are just asking for help.

What I find annoying is people who feel they have to comment after someone posts a supposedly duplicated thread, telling the OP that its already been answered, why don't you use the search feature, and so on. How about instead of berating someone, you assist them with the information they are looking for, and if you have it in you, kindly inform them about the ability to search within the forums.

I do not think new, repeated threads are really a bad thing. It shows that this forum is clearly active and growing, and it means new people are getting into the hobby. So instead of complaining about it, help these people who annoy you so much and in a nice way point them to the ability to search instead of making these types of pointless threads. If it bothers you so much, maybe this isn't the place for you.

"I just bought my first kit and I'm so excited. I know I'm going to love this hobby so I've decided to start a brewery. Can someone send me all the information needed to obtain local, state, and federal permits. Oh and also could you send me a business plan too? How about you donate to my kickstarter. MMkkay?"

I'm becoming a big fan of the OP's posting style. Whenever I am afraid to push send because my latest rant or comment may seem overly grumpy or ill thought-out, I recount the miriad beams of light he has shared on my threads and others and I think "nah, I'm fine."

I may be a bit hypocritical here, as I'm pretty sure I did this on my first batch, but...

Post 1 : I think I ruined it. Insert one of <my gravity was off><I boiled too long><I misread the instructions><A bug landed in the wort><I pitched to warm><I don't see any airlock activity><My dog pooped in the wort><I forgot to add hops>

then 3 days later

Post 10 : It turned out OK. Tastes like <good beer><beer><bad beer><bananas><dog poop>

CreamyGoodness - I like your sig.

I also like how this thread isn't locked yet - it's fun.

I haven't really gotten sick of seeing any particular thread repeated enough that I roll my eyes and say "not this again"; although lately I've been noticing threads that are pretty Troll-lo-loll-loll-loll-esque, but I still find them fun for the witty commentary.

Sometimes I get a little annoyed by new brewers having a panic attack because the wind blew across their wort while it was chilling and wanting to know it their beer was ruined. Then I remember how often I posted to this forum when i got in a twist about silly things when I was first brewing.

Sweet Jesus, I hope i get better then a C+ for this post. You people now have me checking my text messages for punctuation and grammar.

If i ever get injured and get a severely infected wound, I'm going to start a "Does this look infected?" thread with gruesome pictures.

OK I'll bite... "Hi, I'm underage and I just made <sugar+water><frozen juice concentrate+heaps of extra sugar><old gym socks+molasses><you know what these look like> and tossed in some bread yeast, how long until I can start pounding this to get tanked with my buddies?"
They come up rarely enough that I don't get heated about it, but at the same time, these kids have no hesitation to waste other people's time when A) they shouldn't be making alcoholic beverages to begin with and B) they haven't invested any of their own time looking for an answer to the terribly stupid question they are hoping other people will waste time answering for them.
An adult wants to ask questions about crafting a fine wine or beer? Great. No problem. Even if the questions they are asking have been answered a thousand times over, still no problem. A kid wants to ask how quickly they can get eff'd up on a disgusting blend of cheap-o ingredients? Go away.

In a perfect world, everybody would do an exhaustive search through a site and read the previous threads before posting a question. But that's not realistic with any group. I would much rather see (or simply ignore) another "is my beer infected?" or "bottling vs. kegging" thread, than to have people become reluctant to post questions out of fear of criticism.

I can't believe that I just read all the way through this thread?!?!?!

Ditto....

Edit: Okay, on second thought I'll actually say something useful. I am still a fairly new brewer (only 2 yrs now) and I know I have put up some simple (or stupid) questions in the past and I thought it was great that others would chime in and help me out. Made me feel a part of the group. The other nice thing is that when a new person comes on board and starts to ask the old "is <A> or <B> better?" then someone will generally give a link to the most recent or at least a good thread that has that information. As people have mentioned the search function on HBT isnt great, so I always use google and specify HBT when searching.

Yes I believe web MD does have a forum titled "Is it infected, with pictures". This thread has me laughing so hard. It's wonderful to see all the creativity! In before lock and dog pooped in wort some of my favorites.

I know that I have been guilty of starting threads on stuff that has been covered before. I extract brewed for years but recently started delving into new territory on several fronts; yeast starters, small batches, all grain etc. The desire to make better beer has left me looking for answers on many aspects of brewing.

It may have been pointed out earlier in this thread, but sometimes you search for something and get 400 results titled "Yeast starter." More descriptive titles would certainly help determine which threads might contain the specific info you're looking for.

I'll read through tons of old posts before starting a new thread. Sometimes I find the answer, sometimes not. I've also noticed that many times, when a new thread on a "familiar" subject appears, people offer new/unique insights or tidbits of information that might not have made it into many of the older treads.

There may be countless "Is this an infection?" threads, but if other people can help a brewer track down the cause of that particular infection, it has been a helpful/sucessful thread. Although many threads have similar subjects they often go in different directions.

I'm sure many people on this forum would echo my thankfulness for the helpful answers and extreme patience given by many of the members here, even if our questions may seem basic or repetitive.

As a final thought: With the vast number of threads on the site, I'm sure pretty much every topic about brewing has been discussed at least once. That makes almost every new thread a repeat to some degree.

For me search works for 95% of what I need. I usually start threads or tweak old ones when I have a very specific question. I usually can't make my mind up between 3-5 different kits, jump on here and get opinions about most of them and have a better idea and usually buy and make better beer.

I am now on my 10th batch and would have never made even 1 without the helpful, friendly people on here, so keep helping newbies even if your answering the same questions here and there...

Another way I look at this is that I have raised 4 kids and I have 3 grandchilldren and another on the way. Yes, they asked reptitive questions but I answered every time. My granchildren, expecially my grandson (my shadow), loves to ask the same questions over and over and sometimes it gets tiring to answer the same old thing. But, I tell myself everytime, they can't learn if I don't teach and so I answer them again, sometimes if I am able to, I demonstrate. Particularly when I am making them homemade soda or cooking something that they really like, as an example.

I've spent hours reading through old threads. I enjoy this hobby. Reading all those repetitive threads have taught me a lot, especially patience, the most important part of this hobby. Gotta go figure out how to make beer in the microwave now......

Another thought, this forum is rather large and active. Due to just its popularity and activity, I would have to say its going to be rather difficult to come up with a thread that has not already been created at some point. Things will get repeated, but I have to say that I do my best to search through this forum and using google, and every time there are multiple threads to the question I am answering and I tend to click on more than one to see what the responses are for the same questions. Sometimes there are conflicting answers, especially on those types of threads of is technique x better than y or is item a better than b. Its not always a bad thing to see a number of threads out there with the same topic to get an idea of what others are thinking/doing.

If anything, the small but loud enough users on this forum who feel they have to let someone know that their thread has already been posted and they should learn how to search makes it so more reserved members don't even bother asking questions when they need help. I know I hesitate and research this forum as much as I can before I post a question, not because I am worried nobody will help me, its almost a guarantee someone will help out, but because I don't want to be yelled at by someone on their high horse telling me I didn't do a good job searching the forums.

Fennis said:
Another thought, this forum is rather large and active. Due to just its popularity and activity, I would have to say its going to be rather difficult to come up with a thread that has not already been created at some point. Things will get repeated, but I have to say that I do my best to search through this forum and using google, and every time there are multiple threads to the question I am answering and I tend to click on more than one to see what the responses are for the same questions. Sometimes there are conflicting answers, especially on those types of threads of is technique x better than y or is item a better than b. Its not always a bad thing to see a number of threads out there with the same topic to get an idea of what others are thinking/doing.

If anything, the small but loud enough users on this forum who feel they have to let someone know that their thread has already been posted and they should learn how to search makes it so more reserved members don't even bother asking questions when they need help. I know I hesitate and research this forum as much as I can before I post a question, not because I am worried nobody will help me, its almost a guarantee someone will help out, but because I don't want to be yelled at by someone on their high horse telling me I didn't do a good job searching the forums.

All very well said
Cheers

Fennis said:

Seriously, pretty much every question you could want to ask about beer has been asked and answered at some point in this forum so everyone, for God's sake! Stop posting anything at all! There's no point in starting anymore threads. Let's have Tex lock everything and we'll all silently search countless old threads from our own beer fortresses of solitude. Jeez, lighten up already. I guess you were born with a mash paddle in your hand and never once had to ask a dumb question huh?

One final thought on this from a recent newb.

One reason for the constant repeats is the amount of conflicting info out there, from experienced brewers.

Do a search for any of the following and read at least six of the threads:

Do I need to make a starter?
Is kegging better than bottling?
Do I need a secondary?
Do I need a wort chiller?
Bottled water or tap?
Should I send my water sample off to be checked?
Slow rolling boil or vigorous?
How quickly do I need to chill the wort?
What's the ideal pitching temp?

... And there are a thousand others that I could cite.

According to the experienced brewers here, there is no way that I can possibly be brewing drinkable beer yet it sure does taste good.

Seriously, pretty much every question you could want to ask about beer has been asked and answered at some point in this forum so everyone, for God's sake! Stop posting anything at all! There's no point in starting anymore threads. Let's have Tex lock everything and we'll all silently search countless old threads from our own beer fortresses of solitude. Jeez, lighten up already. I guess you were born with a mash paddle in your hand and never once had to ask a dumb question huh?

Did you misread my post? I am in support of newbies asking any and all questions, no matter how dumb they may be and how ever many times they have been asked. What I am against is people who feel that instead of posting an answer to someone's repeated thread/question, they have to belittle the OP because they supposedly didn't do a good enough job searching the forums. I've asked plenty of dumb questions. The point I am getting at is the attitude of a small, but loud enough group of some people on this forum almost act as a deterrent to newbies or even veterans to posting a question because of the fear of the fallout of potentially creating a duplicated thread. That is all. Sorry if I somehow didn't get that point across.

I think most everyone in this thread is OK with the repetition that invariably occurs here. With same or similar questions being asked, the new threads often draw out different experiences and points of view that weren't evident in the previous threads. It all adds to the overall knowledge base.

Most people here are pretty good about the repetition. They still will jump in and help, and maybe even link some similar threads to add depth to the discussion. Only once in a while do I see a "Google is your friend" or "search the forum" kind of response.

Here is how the hitchikers guide sees Homebrewtalk.com (after a fashion):

Homebrewtalk.com is a very big thing that contains a great number of threads and a great number of posts. It is Everything. What we live in. All around us. The lot. Not nothing. It is quite difficult to actually define what Homebrewtalk.com means, but fortunately the Guide doesn't worry about that and just gives us some useful information to live in it.

Area: The area of Homebrewtalk.com is infinite. (See the note)

Important Threads: None. This is a by product of infinity; it is impossible to have important threads in something that has infinite volume because by definition there is nothing to compare them to.

Unimportant Threads: None, for similar reasons as important threads.

Intelligent Membership: None. Although you might see people from time to time, they are most likely products of your imagination. Simple mathematics tells us that the population of homebrewtalk.com must be zero. Why? Well given that the volume of homebrewtalk.com is infinite there must be an infinite number of members. But not all of them are intelligent; therefore only a finite number are. Any finite number divided by infinity is zero, therefore the average membership of homebrewtalk.com is zero, and so the intelligent membership must be zero.

Beer: None. Because the function of beer is to hold a mirror up to nature there can be no beer because homebrewtalk.com is infinite which means there simply isn't a mirror big enough.

Posts: None. Although in fact there is quite a lot, given the zero membership of homebrewtalk.com there can in fact be no beings to post, and therefore no posts happen on homebrewtalk.com.

Note: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy offers this definition of the word "infinite".

Infinite: Bigger than the biggest thing ever and then some. Much bigger than that in fact, really amazingly immense, a totally stunning size, real "wow, that's big," time. Infinity is just so big that, by comparison, bigness itself looks really titchy. Gigantic multiplied by colossal multiplied by staggeringly huge is the sort of concept we're trying to get across here.

so there you go, no members, no important threads, no unimportant threads, no posts, no beer.

/thread

Did you misread my post? I am in support of newbies asking any and all questions, no matter how dumb they may be and how ever many times they have been asked. What I am against is people who feel that instead of posting an answer to someone's repeated thread/question, they have to belittle the OP because they supposedly didn't do a good enough job searching the forums. I've asked plenty of dumb questions. The point I am getting at is the attitude of a small, but loud enough group of some people on this forum almost act as a deterrent to newbies or even veterans to posting a question because of the fear of the fallout of potentially creating a duplicated thread. That is all. Sorry if I somehow didn't get that point across.

Nope ,I quoted your post to support it and add my agreement. My issue was with the OP. Sorry if that was confusing.

WOW talk about a poop storm this thing went 7 different directions. Having grammer correction and grading of post. Yes my OP was typed on a cellphone after a few drinks and without my glasses so for give my grammer.

Back