First Shoots of The Year!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierliebhaber

Reaction score
Woohooo! All my plants survived the cold season and shoots have started breaking ground.

At what point should I clip the first growth?

I have nothing to offer you except for my jealousy; my yard is still covered in about 1.5 ft of snow... I don't get to put anything in the ground for a couple months yet...

Commercial method is to clip. I am guessing for even cone riping so the SINGLE harvest will be good.

If you hand pick, you will get more then one harvest.

I did cut the old/last year growth when the new shoots appear. My cascade is growing now. Nugget is right behind. Will and brewers is still sleeping.

cut the yard yesterday then took a look, yep there shooting up. We are suppose to cut them off ? I know that comercials do it ?

I hate you guys! My ground will be frozen for another 1.5-2 months. At least my hops are well insulated under a 4 ft. snow drift. I usually get first shoots around mid to late April (on a good year).

Memorial Day weekend is our "sow outdoors" time for the garden. But we gotta have tarps on hand for the May frosts we seem to get every year lately.

Oh man reading that people in Oregon and Washington have growth already scare me. I live in Texas and I don't have any kind of growth yet. If they didn't make it through the winter it's not because it was cold (maybe a weeks worth of freezing temps) but because I or the bugs last year killed them. Crossing my fingers my plants are just slow to wake up.

Back