temp rise in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripplehazzard

Reaction score
My primary has been at a steady temp during fermentation the last 2 weeks. Suddenly this morning I checked the temp strip and it seems the temp has shot up. This does not make sense... the outside temp has been getting cooler. During the first week and a half the temp stayed pretty steady between 63 and 75°… should I be concerned? Or is this a good thing. There is still plenty after action in the airlock. Thinking of transfering to secondary after 3 weeks. Hope its not a problem. Maybe I'm just over sensitive ... this is my baby.

It has been 2 weeks and you are still getting a lot of airlock activity? That seems very long, I have had some that were still going near 2 weeks but were almost done - very little or no airlock activity. How long did it take for fermentation to start? I would also expect the highest temperature in a day or two after fermentation starts. I usually bottle my beers straight from primary at about 3 weeks.

bubbling that much and a temperature increase after two weeks does sound suspicious. How does it smell? Have you tasted it?

I guess its not considered a lot of activity. Its still pretty steady. The temp did rise real nice when fermentation started. The next morning I had a lot of action going on.. I mean it went nuts! My fg. Is something like 1.023 . I have to rack cherries in the secondary. Getting ready to do the transfer in a few days. Maybe its because I had a larger batch thus time. Almost 6 gallons. And that didn't effect the og at all. I'm thinking my temp strip is old and I need a new one

bubbling that much and a temperature increase after two weeks does sound suspicious. How does it smell? Have you tasted it?

I didn't plan to open it till I move it to the secondary. We will c then. I can smell it from the airlock and it smells nice and fruity. Nothing to be concerned with.
.I hope. :{

I didn't plan to open it till I move it to the secondary. We will c then. I can smell it from the airlock and it smells nice and fruity. Nothing to be concerned with.
.I hope. :{

If it smells fine then the bubbling is likely a product of the temperature rise. Just off gassing. Why the temperature went up is a mystery. Is it in a water bath, and is it in a temperature contoled room, or something like a garage or basement? So we can see the weather, what is your location?

If the weather is getting warmer, it may be because a low pressure front is coming in. If that is the case, the pressure change in the atmosphere can cause bubbling.

I'm no meteorologist, but this makes sense to me.

If it smells fine then the bubbling is likely a product of the temperature rise. Just off gassing. Why the temperature went up is a mystery. Is it in a water bath, and is it in a temperature contoled room, or something like a garage or basement? So we can see the weather, what is your location?

I live in Kansas city.. ha. Sunny and 70 yesterday. 45 and tornado watch this morning.. 32 and snow tonight. That's how the weather here goes. Its in a climate controlled room too. Stays about 65 consistently. I had it in a water bath the first couple days because the pitching temp wasn't where I wanted it. I pitched at about 70 . . The water bath dropped it to about 62 then I pulled it when I saw the fermentation start. The yeast made it rise to a constant 65 for about a week and a half.

Back