Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe4186

Reaction score
Ok, I got a good problem...My buddy just gave me an empty 55 gallon red wine barrel..What should I put in it?

Joe

Not really, I have a couple of friends that I brew with....We trying to figure out a recipe that we can do 4 5 gallon batches and throw them all in the barrel to age. This would be our first barrel aged beer, we are just looking for somewhere to start.

Thinking about a brown ale, and just seeing where it goes from there.

Maybe, and this is a big maybe, you could cut it up and use it to age beer on in the secondary.

Not really, I have a couple of friends that I brew with....We trying to figure out a recipe that we can do 4 5 gallon batches and throw them all in the barrel to age. This would be our first barrel aged beer, we are just looking for somewhere to start.

Thinking about a brown ale, and just seeing where it goes from there.

I like that idea! Maybe add a batch every weekend and see what kind of blending you get?

Ok

Should we use this barrel for secondary? Go primary like normal. Then roll into the barrel for secondary?

How would it work to keep adding batches to this beer, and then after 6 months or so, start removing 5 gallons or so. Just keep that cycle going. Has anybody tried this?

Ok

Should we use this barrel for secondary? Go primary like normal. Then roll into the barrel for secondary?

How would it work to keep adding batches to this beer, and then after 6 months or so, start removing 5 gallons or so. Just keep that cycle going. Has anybody tried this?

I've heard of doing that for sour beers - keep adding more. One thing you might want to read up on is how to condition a barrel for use. I know I've read about it, but I can't remember what the procedures are. I do remember one person saying how you're supposed to soak the barrel so that it is water tight. I'd hate for you to lose all that wort if it leaks!

First of all: make sure it is in excellent condition. When full it will have over 400 pounds of beer in it and if it is not 100% sound it could come apart while being moved or jostled. Once you get it clean (check this out but I think you can use percarbonates on this), rinse well then fill it with water or water alcohol/sanitizer solution to test for leaks and sanitize it.

If the barrel was dry for any length of time the staves will most probably have shrunk a little. This will cause leaks and loose hoops (rings).

Try to rehydrate the wooden staves back to where the hoops tighten up on their own before you hammer adjust them TOO tight.

I would do the barrel rehydrating and adjusting before tackling the cleaning and sanitizing because it would only involve the use of water.

Caution also as far as pressure is concerned. Distilled spirit barrels and wine barrels are not designed to hold pressure to the same degree as beer barrels.

bosco

Back