I have 3 weeks to decide how to dry how...I'll let you decide...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should I dry Hop?

• After Primary fermentation is complete...Drop the Hops in the primary no Muslin bag

• After primary fermentation is complete...Drop the Hops in the primary WITH a Muslin bag

• After Primary....Drop Hops in Secondary with NO muslin bag...

• After Primary....Drop Hops in Secondary WITH muslin bag...

• Other....Please let me know!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jayman931

Reaction score
Ok...I like to plan things in advance....My double IPA has a amazing fermentation going on and I am already looking forward to the dry hopping...I will let the forum decide how I should do it!

Ok....when I boiled...1oz Chinook.....1oz Cascade (half oz then half Centenial and repeat)....1 oz Centenial....then finished with 1oz Crystal (all pellets)

Dry hop will be 2 oz of Cascade Leaf hops..

It'll help if you let us know what hops you used in it. A lot of brewers believe in bringing those flavors out even more by using them in the DH. Personally, I'd use Amarillo to dry hop any liquid refreshment. Amarillo & Citra has been a winner for me too. Amarillo/El Dorado/Sorachi/Motueka will give you a wild lemony party as well.

What happens in 3 weeks? Is that how long you plan to leave it in the primary? It probably only needs 10 days, or 2 weeks. After 2 weeks, rack to a secondary and add an oz of your favorite aroma hop, whole or pellet. I like Citra for dry hopping but also use Cascade when I can't get Citra. Whole or Pellet you don't need to do anything fancy. Some people say bag the hops for easy clean up but I don't find it necessary if I'm careful when I rack to the keg/bottling bucket.

Use a bag with leaves. I did not take this advice and had to buy a new autosyphon. You can put marbles in the bag too and get all the hops submerged. 50-75 marbles should take care of 2oz of hops.

What happens in 3 weeks? Is that how long you plan to leave it in the primary? It probably only needs 10 days, or 2 weeks.

You are correct...I am going wait till the primary fermentation gives me the same hydrometer reading 2-3 (probably 3) days in a row...as of now my fermentation has been very good...

I have only dry hopped once but I had good results. I put the hops in a bag and racked on top of them in the secondary after fermentation had stopped. I know people will say it is hard to remove the bag after but I just cut the bag after I bottled the beer, this made it really easy to get the bag out. The bag did absorb some beer but i think i would have lost more trying to siphon w/o getting hop bits. I don't know if this is the best way but it worked really nicely for me.

(I miss voted)

@944play- 2000 posts :mug:

Also...I didn't understand what you meant by "never taken issue with"...lets chalk it up to regional dialect...

I think he meant he's never been unhappy with its results. I was listening to CYBI on Brewing Network the other day and Tasty actually left Cascade out of the dry hopping of their West Coast IPA clone (even though Green Flash uses it) because he doesn't like the 'grassy' flavors it gives off. Just food for thought. Could always go Centennial since you used those and they're supposedly sometimes called Super Cascade.

Poll results so far suggest that every method works. I like secondary with no bag.

lol....so far indeed...why did I (and I am assuming alot of people) think that brewing is an "exact" science....I guess I know you don't have to be exact...I am just looking or results...

Let me know what you decide on, Jayman. I'm in the same boat right now and was planning on doing 4 weeks primary while dry hopping pellets with no bag for the last 7 days.

If you're not going to be washing the yeast, I vote: After Primary fermentation is complete...Drop the Hops in the primary no Muslin bag

I always use pellets when I dry hop. I put them in the secondary and rack the beer on top. I use pellets b/c I think they create more surface contact. I do not use any muslin bags. Just dump them in. I will give the Carboy a swirl every once and a while.

After dry hopping I put pantyhose on the inlet end of my racking cane and siphon off. I used to use Muslim bags, but pantyhose work great and I just boil them for 10 min before use.

"Other" (I keg). After primary, simply rack beer to keg, add hops and marbles to a sack made out of stocking/panyhose (knee highs work well, just tie the top closed like you would with a muslin bag) and toss into keg. Put on gas at serving pressure.....2-3 weeks later you have nicely hopped, fully carbed beer.

I will have to remember that when i get to the point that I want to Keg. That would be the way to go!

Back