Coopers Irish Stout Alteration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotdog6172

Reaction score
I have a can of Coopers Irish Stout sitting around and i wanted to increase the head retention. I had made one previously, but it was very sweet and not bitter enough to my tastes. I am a amature at homebrewing having only done extract batches. I want to add crystal malt to the recipe along with hops to keep it an even keel between sweet and bitter. My question is how much Crystal malt should i use?

Adding the crystal malt will make it sweeter. If you thought the previous batch was too sweet, I wouldn't add crystal malt.

There's this clear,thick syrup stuff in a small tub that Craig on craigtube (youtube) used for this. I just can't remember off hand what it was. Malto-dextrine syrup maybe?

Try a different yeast with higher attenuation, the kit yeast is not the best IMHO. Safale S-04 or Nottingham. Maltodextin will add some body but also a little sweetness so ~100g max. Table sugar will dry it out but also thin it too. What ingredients do you have in mind?

Try a different yeast with higher attenuation, the kit yeast is not the best IMHO. Safale S-04 or Nottingham. Maltodextin will add some body but also a little sweetness so ~100g max. Table sugar will dry it out but also thin it too. What ingredients do you have in mind?

The Irish Stout yeast is an English ale strain. It is supposed to make the beer dryer than the original yeast sachets. I just made this beer and it came out dry. I used 2 sachets of yeast though. The 7 gram sachet may be on the light side especially if the yeast is coming close to expiration.

Back