Difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brew17

Reaction score
Is there a difference between Extra Pale LME and Extra Light DME? If it matters, the LME is whatever AHS sells and the DME is Munton's.

Thanks

Well, beyond the obvious (liquid vs dry), the only real difference will be in the amount you need. The liquid has water in it, so you need to use a bit more than if you used dry extract.

Well, beyond the obvious (liquid vs dry), the only real difference will be in the amount you need. The liquid has water in it, so you need to use a bit more than if you used dry extract.

Sorry, I should have been more detailed. Can they be substituted for each other? I did one recipe using the LME and another using the DME (2 different beers), so I want to know if I can just buy a bulk amount of the DME that I can use in both recipes.

Thanks for the quick response earlier.

In general you can use Plain/Light/Extra Light/Gold LME or DME in any recipies that call for malt extract. They are all interchangeable. If you ever become particular about the extract you use, you should be going all-grain.

You can do a lot more for a recipe by partial mash (Aromatic/Biscuit/victory, Munich/Vienna, etc); these malts will add more complexity to your wort/beer than any variation on extracts.

1 lb of DME = 1.25 lbs of LME.

Stay away from amber or dark extracts; you have no idea what was used to change them from a plain/light extract.

Back