Beer Tattoo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
So I've been toying with the idea of getting a tattoo for years, but never really knew what I wanted. Beer and beer brewing has been my passion for years and now it has inspired me on a tattoo design. I started looking on the web, but couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for. I've always liked tribal designs, but it's pretty generic and not very personal. So I've combined somewhat of a tribal design with my love for hops. Think about getting it on the upper right side of my back. What do you guys think?

downloadfile-4.jpg

You asked, but I think the whole tribal thing is very ******-bag-esque. Sorry :eek:

And Yes, you did copy GodSmack. Kind of add's to the *****ebaggery for me.
big

Yeah, agree on the tribal thing being overdone. However, you have to live with it, and we all have different tastes. I would go with something more organic behind the hop. Vines, barley, anything other than the tribal stuff.

-Aaron

lol, I had no idea I copied Godsmack, glad you pointed that out. Appreciate the honesty guys. I really like the hop flower, but have no idea what else to do with it, that's where I'm struggling right now.

Glad you took my comment for what it was. I wasn't trying to offend :D Don't settle on a tattoo. Go to your local shop and talk with them. A good shop should sit down with you and sketch out ideas as you talk and help you come up with something awesome.

Indeed.

Tribal is about as cool as barbed wire IMO.

+10 to IPs advice.

One of the problems with tribal is a lot of things that look good on a flat surface don't look good on a round surface.

Not to mention most artists find it mind numbingly boring (SWMBO is a tattoo artist).

I agree, find a custom tattoo shop, look through some portfolios, pick an artist, and start working up a design with them.

Hops on a vine could look cool.

I never got any myself and don't plan to. If I had, say back in the 70's, I would probably have something stupid like the Rolling Stones mouth and tounge logo on my arm today. No a good thing.

I never got any myself and don't plan to. If I had, say back in the 70's, I would probably have something stupid like the Rolling Stones mouth and tounge logo on my arm today. No a good thing.

Lol, good point.

I have never done a tattoo myself. I have thought a lot about it. If i did Id want to get it where I can see it. It would remind me everytime I saw it, of why I got it. I believe if you get a tattoo where you can't see it, it is for show, and not from the heart......just sayin.

agree with wildwest450 ;) it would look good in black and white w/ someone doing good shading.

That sir, is commitment.

No go to the tribal, or if you really like it, try replacing the tribal portion with hop vines.

But I fully second the motion of sitting down with someone and drawing something up, this is forever, if you don't like it, don't get it.

If I got a tatoo it would be on my forehead. If I got a piercing it would be through my temples. If you are gonna do it...do it right!

Just MO. My wife has a tatoo and I like it on her.

Whatever you decide on make sure to search Google for similar imagery. Nothing worse than finding out that the image you want is related to something you hate or dislike.

I saw a dude once who had a tattoo on his gums... looked wicked scary. That was original at least.

Stay away from tribal. I think the barley and hop thing is cool, but how about a beer mug with a nice foam head on it. Put your brewery name on the glass to personalize it. Simple but nobody else will have it

Alright, I've been fiddling with the design and would like some more opinions... This is just black and white and I'm not artist, but I would color the hop and the black tribal part green (black outline), then do the barley in brown and black. Still too tribal?

2010-05-07154731.jpg

that looks better for sure.

mind if I have a crack at one for ya over the weekend?
I'd also suggest simply black and white w/ some nice shading. never been a fan of colored tattoo's for the most part

that looks better for sure.

mind if I have a crack at one for ya over the weekend?
I'd also suggest simply black and white w/ some nice shading. never been a fan of colored tattoo's for the most part

Not at all man, have at it. I also agree about color as I'd prefer black and white, but I'm afraid if the hop isn't green it's going to look like a strawberry, lol.

maybe lightly shade the hop with green on the edges.

I've done a few tattoo's not too many of them are on this computer.
BelieveTattoo.jpg

Tattoo1.jpg

celticAngle.jpg

It looks better. I'd consider dropping the rest of the sun from it. Keep an open mind if the artist suggests tweeking it some more.

Minimum size I'd recommend is about 6" across.

I agree with all the tribal being barley. I've always thought it would be cool to get a brewing influenced half sleeve starting with a hop vine that wraps around my upper arm. Maybe one day, just maybe.

Not at all man, have at it. I also agree about color as I'd prefer black and white, but I'm afraid if the hop isn't green it's going to look like a strawberry, lol.

What size were you thinking of getting?
The skull on my back sholderblade is around 3" tall, the tat on my my sholder is about 2"X3.5". My wifes is around 6" long on her sholder blad.
But I can reduce or increase the size since I'll probably put it in illustrator if you want it.

Keep an open mind if the artist suggests tweeking it some more.

Minimum size I'd recommend is about 6" across.

I agree with this big time. Bigger is better and remember.........you are asking an artist to do work for you. That IMO means you like their vision on how things should look or be. It may be your idea but, give them some or all the say.

My left sleeve was my idea and the artist's vision. My right sleeve, again was my theme, but his choice and vision. My left leg is all up to the artist.

The design is turning out nicely...very original. That is key for a tatoo IMO. I have seen quite a few tatoos but never a hop one yet.

I vote for all barley too.

The bigger it is, the better it will hold up over time. If you go too small or try to cram too much detail in too small a space, it is more likely to stretch or smear.

Be careful on the borders.

I have the Swedish flag on my chest, which I got borders around, and now I wish I hadnt. Maybe I'm just unlucky or something, but the border has been fading the last few years and it drags the whole thing down.

Time to go have it re-colored I suppose.

Just a thought.

Be careful on the borders.

I have the Swedish flag on my chest, which I got borders around, and now I wish I hadnt. Maybe I'm just unlucky or something, but the border has been fading the last few years and it drags the whole thing down.

Time to go have it re-colored I suppose.

Just a thought.

Depending on why you get the work done. A tattoo is a life long commitment. I don't mean because its permanent. You need to take care of them. I am not saying you don't. Just neglect is probably the biggest reasons for a decline in a tattoo.

Depending on where it is and what color, the time between touch-ups will vary. Sun exposure will fade them faster too.

What size were you thinking of getting?
The skull on my back sholderblade is around 3" tall, the tat on my my sholder is about 2"X3.5". My wifes is around 6" long on her sholder blad.
But I can reduce or increase the size since I'll probably put it in illustrator if you want it.

I was thinking around 4" max.

Back