Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandleWineProject

Reaction score
Lactose is not fermentable, right?

So if someone figure out how to ferment with whey and sugar, they would be left with a sweet wine due to the lactose?

Ever have milk stout beer? Great stuff. Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout has won awards, and people want clone recipes and kits.

I've had some cranberry whey wine, and it absolutely looks like wine. Not opaque at all. I have some whey, so I'm trying to figure out how it is done.

There is still the other question of, "Does lactose ferment?" That simpler question explains the beer. The more complex question involves working with whey.

Okay, don't mean to steal from you but i have a question. What of people who are lactose intolerant? Is this drinkable for them? Cause i would love to try this.

Okay, from what I've been reading, it takes a special bacteria to get lactose to ferment into alcohol, but otherwise, no, it doesn't ferment. Still trying to figure how that applies to whey.

What of people who are lactose intolerant? Is this drinkable for them? Cause i would love to try this.

Since the lactose is not changed at all, I highly doubt lactose intolerant people can drink it. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/milk-stout-lactose-lactose-intolerance-98855/

Several species of candida can ferment lactose, and there is a traditional, although almost extinct Scottish alcoholic drink called blaand which is made by fermenting whey.

Back