american stout quick help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
this will be the second time i'm brewing my american stout-the first time i did a 3 gal batch and it was amazing and went way too fast so this is a scaled version-only one problem. when i ordered the bill i accidently ordered 3lbs of barley instead of one. the bill is in 2 bags... the oats and barley in one and the rest in the other.

Final Volume: 6.0 gal (S.G.: 1.070)
Efficiency: 73.0%
Attenuation: 77.0%
Evap/Hour: 1.5 gal
Ingredients:
11.0 lb American 2-row
14.0 oz Crystal Malt 120°L
3.0 lb Barley Flaked
1.0 lb Oat Flakes
1.0 lb Chocolate Malt
9.0 oz British Black Patent
1.0 oz Nugget (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Fuggle (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 ea WYeast 1028 London Ale

Original Gravity: 1.070
Terminal Gravity: 1.016
Color: 30.88 °SRM
Alcohol: 7.07%
Bitterness: 46.5

what impact will that much more barley have on the taste? do you guys think that i should only use part of the smaller bag, even though that will give me less oat?

the last time around the beer was very smooth and the oat and chocolate came through very nicely... i just dont know if the barley will make that much of a difference. thanks guys

I don't know what effect 3 lbs of flaked barley may have, perhaps a hard time sparging?, but is there a store selling bulk foods nearby? If so, they may have flaked barley; there is a farmers market here that has flaked barley. And, you could use quick oats (oatmeal) from a grocery store instead of flaked oats. The quick oats just need to be added to boiling water and cooked for a minute, then into the mash.

I don't know what effect 3 lbs of flaked barley may have, perhaps a hard time sparging?, but is there a store selling bulk foods nearby? If so, they may have flaked barley; there is a farmers market here that has flaked barley. And, you could use quick oats (oatmeal) from a grocery store instead of flaked oats. The quick oats just need to be added to boiling water and cooked for a minute, then into the mash.

well i definitely don't want to add more barley.... i suppose i could add more oats to balance to try to balance it out. i think i'm just going to brew it and see how it tastes:cross:

Back