whatcha think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
first shot at a wild beer, kind of just a random batch that was the second runnnings of my deschutes abyss replica. the OG was 1.020 *kinda low, i know, but thats 5% abv potential if it attenuates all the way out*, and pitched the dreggs from russian river consecration, cantillon vigneronne, and schneider avintinus eisbock...again, random, but its what i had sitting around in bottles. i made a starter of the three yeasts, with a quarter pound of honey and a little bit of water, for two days.

wondering how something like this is going to turn out? if you need to i'll post the grain bill.

as far as hops, i didnt have much so i just threw in a 1/2 oz of 11.2aa columbus hops, and didnt do a boil, just went strait from the batch sparge to the bucket because my brew day was coming to an end.

any help is appreciated.

LOL, well sounds like you don't really have anything to loose with it. Those two yeasts together sound good. Next time you'll want to add a lot of hops and a high grav. to control all the critters if you do a true wild brew.

LOL, well sounds like you don't really have anything to loose with it. Those two yeasts together sound good. Next time you'll want to add a lot of hops and a high grav. to control all the critters if you do a true wild brew.

but cantillon airnt high gravity and use minimal hops. in fact, in "wild brews" (an insanely helpful book) they recommend not using a lot of hops in wild beers. i tasted the wort and it was ballanced despite the small amount of hops used.

Well, cantillon actualy does use alot of hops... they are just aged to minimalize their flavor impact. They are used for their preservative purposes.

Must be something in the water. I had the itch for a wild Berliner Weisse so I "brewed" one up yesterday.

50/50(ish) Pilsner and wheat malt.
.5 ounces of Tett into the mash
149 degrees fro 2 hours.
No boil.
2 gallons of 100 degree runoff into a better bottle with a half pound of grains tossed in.
4 gallons cooled to 64, into the fermenter on a Kolsch cake.

We shall see if the bug gods are with me.

BM, one trick you can use to get preferentially lactobacillus is to try to reduce the oxygen contact and to keep the wort +100F. Also watch it close since it will sour quickly once it starts.

BM, one trick you can use to get preferentially lactobacillus is to try to reduce the oxygen contact and to keep the wort +100F. Also watch it close since it will sour quickly once it starts.

Thanks. The former should be a problem since I didn't aerate.

Keeping at 100 though will be an issue since it's sitting at ambient. Maybe I could move to a smaller area with a space heater.

Some folks suggest fitting a sanitized piece of plastic wrap to the top of the wort to reduce oxygenation from the headspace. Like you, I did not aerate after sparging. Unfortunately around hour 24 I started to notice a fairly nasty taste associated, I believe, with Clostridium. Both acetobacter and clostridium are inhibited by anaerobic environments. Here is an article in BYO you might find helpful.
Sour Mashing

Back