Noobie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggierm1

Reaction score
I have made approx 3 wine kits and am looking to start brewing beer. I would like some opinions on the following:

- What kind of kit should I buy?
- Any manufacturer recommendations?
- What type of beer would be good (ale, stout, pilsner, etc..), that would be ready for some summer drinking?

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be offered.

:rockin:

1: I started off with this kit, and it's served me well. Brewing Intermediate Kit- with Two 5 Gallon Better Bottle Carboys :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies It's quality gear, and it'll serve you well fpr a long time to come. You might also want a large boil kettle if you don't already have one, a wort chiller, and a jet bottle washer. Around $200 for everything, and it's enough gear to set you up with a nice pipeline.

2: See #1

3: That's totally up to you. What styles do you like? I would recommend an ale instead of a lager, as you don't need to convert a fridge for lagering.

Welcome to the wonderful world of beer-making. Nothing against winos, but let's just say that it takes a little patience to brew beer, and a LOT to make wine! I would suggest going to NorthernBrewer.com or morebeer.com and perusing the beginner brewing kits they sell. If you have a local homebrew store, you should stop by there first, I think, and take note of price and just get to know them, as you'll be developing a long-running relationship with them.

As for first-brews, it's always cool to make something that'll be popular with the family and friends early on. If they don't drink many craft brews, then maybe search for a blue moon extract recipe. When your friends try some and say "wow that's pretty close to what's on tap at the bar!" and then realize it costs .50c a glass as opposed to $4.25, they'll be hooked, and so will you!

Latest posts

Back