North German Alt Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoHomebrew

Reaction score
I just finished a north German Alt beer and it is great but I am not sure it is true to style. I based my recipie off the Book Brewing Classic styles and it turned out nutty but good. And I mean nutty like a Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewery if you've had that. Any comments would help since I've never had a north german alt. I've brewed 3 dusseldorf alts and been thrilled with those and this is so different.

5.5 gallons

7.75 Pils
1.5 Munich I
.5 Crystal 80
3 oz. pale chocolate

1oz Northern brewer 60min
1oz Northern brewer 2 min

Nothing wrong with that recipe.

If you want to read about just Alt, I can highly recommend Horst Dornbusch's "Altbier: History, Brewing Techniques, Recipes (Classic Beer Style) "
And you will see that Alt is all over the place in recipe terms. Some have wheat, some are very dark, some are higher in alcohol than others.

Removing the Crystal 80L and replacing with a Caramunich of around 75L would also be appropriate. As would using a Carafa malt of around 450L instead of the chocolate.

Nothing wrong with that recipe.

If you want to read about just Alt, I can highly recommend Horst Dornbusch's "Altbier: History, Brewing Techniques, Recipes (Classic Beer Style) "
And you will see that Alt is all over the place in recipe terms. Some have wheat, some are very dark, some are higher in alcohol than others.

Removing the Crystal 80L and replacing with a Caramunich of around 75L would also be appropriate. As would using a Carafa malt of around 450L instead of the chocolate.

The chocolate is the only "out of style" grain. I agree thats probably why its so nutty.

I'll need to get that book, because I do like messing around with alts. I'll try using the carafa next time. I was in Germany last month and had an Alt Frankische Dunkel which was also really good.

Back