After Boil Transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WreckinBrewCo

Reaction score
I've recently changed a lot of things with my brewing process and now I have a few questions.

I just had 2 holes drilled in my brew pot, one for a valve the other for a thermometer. I also got an immersion chiller and a pre-chiller. My whole thought process in doing all of this is to not move the beer at all after boiling. Just set it up on a stand let it cool off then transfer to a carboy via the valve. Hoping to leave a lot of the trub in the bottom of the pot and not in the carboy.

After 2 batches this has not worked so well. I just brewed an IPA last night, when I was transfering to the carboy i passed the wort through a screened funnel. It started clogging immediately. I eventually just removed the screen and dumped the chunky mess right into the carboy.
Side bar: this IPA had 8 oz of hops so there was a lot of hop debris and it was the first time I used Whirlfloc.
My questions are, is this hop debris bad to have in the carboy? Will it give me off tastes? Did I waste my money on the valve in the brew pot? Should i just Siphon to the carboy?

Thanks in advance,

I actually have a pretty identical set up. Short answer- No, you did not waste time or money. I personally use Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil and I get a great break. At flame out, before putting my chiller in, I whirlpool by stirring for about 1.5 to 2 minutes. By the time it's finished cooling, the break material and hops are in the bottom right beneath the valve. When I open the valve, it runs through a short piece of hose and into a strainer. Forget about the screened funnel, for obvious reasons. Instead, use a nylon mesh bag from your LHBS or a paint strainer bag; they are reusable and work wonderfully without clogging. Happy brewing. I hope this helps.

I appreciate the reply. I just ordered some nylon bags.
What about the hop debris that's sitting in the bottom of my carboy? Is this going to cause off or vegetable tastes?

I don't have a valve on my current kettle, and I ferment mostly in buckets (one glass carboy that's earmarked for mead now...) I just pick up the kettle and dump everything into the fermenter. Hops, trub, everything. No worries.

I whirlpool and that has help me keep the hops in the kettle even when using 5oz of hops.
After whirl pooling I let it sit for 45 minutes with lid on then open the valve a small amount and drain into carboy.
Takes me 30 min to transfer but I do not want to disturb the hop cone.

Clear Wort.jpg

You're just fine with all the trub in the carboy. It just makes for more cleanup when you rack out of the carboy.

Back