First use of Barley Crusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIBeer

Reaction score
Got my new Barley Crusher yesterday, and just finished up milling my grain for a 10 gal batch of Haus Pale Ale. Did all 21 lbs of grain in less time than it usually takes me to get the old Corona set up and adjusted - 20 min from set-up to clean-up, including attaching the handle.

Remember getting a new toy as a kid and wanting to sleep with it for the first few nights? That's what I'm gonna do. I love this thing! :ban:

Get a drill it's much easier and quick. Just used mine for the first time last week and I also love it.

The first time I used a drill on mine about a month ago I for some reason engaged the drill without holding down the Barley Crusher (with a full hopper). Needless to say, I'm still finding grains on my kitchen floor.....

Ya the barley crusher is much nicer then the corona. Makes you laugh at the effort spent with that flour mill, wish I knew better and bought the BC first.

Just got mine and will use on Saturday. The directions say to run 1/2 lb of grains thru and toss. I understand the concept behind that, but does anyone really do that? Just wondering

Sheldon

Just got mine and will use on Saturday. The directions say to run 1/2 lb of grains thru and toss. I understand the concept behind that, but does anyone really do that? Just wondering

Sheldon

Is this to get rid of any of the machining lubricants? what is the purpose? Mine is on its way and I am stoked.

Yeah, it's to clean the rollers of debris/oils. I used some stale Cherios that the wife was gonna chuck. It's grain right?

Best thing is to use actual grain you brew with. That way you clean and make sure the crush is correct. Better to find out before you start the brew session. It's $.50-$1.50 well spent.

Barley Crusher is very versatile, easy to use and clean. I ripped out the O-ring. I was afraid it would break during a grind and would have to find the pieces. I tried to set a drill up to it permanently, with gear and chain, but the torque was too high and much easier to just use a cordless anytime. 1/2" chuck cordless works great, low speed with my finger kind of in the middle. Grind is better slow than fast.

You can mess with the gap, but be careful, it is easy to get skewed. .031-.039 (stock) works well. I did some around .029-.031 and there was a lot of flour, so I backed off to .034.

I have totally disassembled it, and it is well made and easy to tinker with. Should last a lifetime!

Back