DC Area Group Buy #13

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonebrewer

Invented the IPL
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
NOTE: Changes are coming so please pay attention. You may want to read all of this post again as some thing have changed.

This group buy is open to HBT members who are local to the DC metro area, including MD and VA as well as the district. A limited number of folks in the Charlottesville/Waynesboro/Staunton area may participate as I drive there 6-8 times a year, but you must be willing to wait for my next trip home...

The intent of this buy is to be held on a regular schedule. We do not have a minimum order to make so we can schedule this to happen on a regular timetable and that allows you to plan your buys to the way you brew instead of having to stock up like the old model forced you to. Looks like we are getting in a groove with the buy happening every 6-8 weeks.

Some "info" and "rules" to go over:

* If you want the price list, PM me your email address...otherwise you don't get it!
* PAYMENT is via PayPal only! Pay three weeks before the buy end, by Friday at midnight. Pay me at the email address I used to send you the link to the sheet. Use the pay friend/family option and DO NOT pay via PayPal check! PLEASE put your HBT moniker in the note section so I know who you are. Collating email addresses is a pain!
* You can pay in advance. I don't encourage this unless you are someone who doesn't check the buy thread ~daily. If you travel a lot like I do, it may make sense for you to pay in advance as well. Remember we can refund you up to 60 days from PayPal and we can always just "pay" you if it goes beyond 60 days.
* We allow splitting of sacks (no base malts please!) cuz who keeps 50 pounds of Carafa III in their local storage? This is an area in flux right now. We are going to try to setup a form to do this, but for the next week or so, please just post as usual in the forum. Payment is due, paid to Stonebrewer via PayPal, WHEN THE SPLIT closes. So pay attention as I hate chasing folks down.

* The pickup location is at 3 Stars brewery in DC

* NOTE Recent Change:The pickup will occur the Sat. three weeks after the buy closes, so buy closes Friday night, order goes in Sat. AM, pick up the second Sat. AM at 3 Stars. We will allow LIMITED orders two weeks before. The reason for doing this is it gives 3 Stars 3 chances to order and should greatly limit us not getting something we order.
* Pickup time is 11 AM and ends at 12 or 12:30 AM (TBD), right before they can fill growlers so come prepared to buy from the HBS and get your growler(s) filled!
* If you cannot pick up your grain, you MUST arrange with someone else to do so and let Stonebrewer know who is picking up your grain
* In the past we have had issues with some sacks not showing up or the wrong sacks showing up; be forewarned that this can happen, though we believe the three week rule will eliminate or minimize this
* The price list is given out by email so if you want it PM me with your email; no email, no list, no exceptions
* The price list is private, do not share with others. Have them contact me. Do not discuss pricing on the forum. Do not give out the link.
* When ordering please use a standard format, for example copy and paste the SKU + grain straight off the price list. Something like this:

2 x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1 x MUN1001 Muntons Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)

10# WEY1031 Weyermann® CaraMunich I® 25 Kg (55 Lb.):

* ...and put it at the bottom of your post, away from text to make it stand out. In this example, the buyer is asking for 3 full sacks and to start a split of CaraMunich, of which he is taking 10 pounds.
* If you are buying splits, please quote the primary buyers post as part of your request post to make it easy for us to see what split you are taking.
* We currently create a very complete set of sheets that we keep on google drive with all the information about a buy. Please check it before asking questions. If it is not up to date, give us some time before posting. We do have real jobs, families, and we also like to brew from time to time...
* The brewery has growler hours at 1PM; they cannot sell you a growler before that by law. Don't ask.
* The brewery has a small homebrew store; PLEASE snag some hops, yeast, etc. to show your appreciation.

subscribed...will the link to the old sheet show new prices?

So the link SHOULD send you to a folder, not a sheet. In the folder should be the last buy, Buy #12, and the new Buy #13 gsheets. I updated Buy #13 with the new grain prices and choices. I did not change #12 cuz a) I am lazy and b) I wanted it to be historically correct in case we ever need to refer back to it. There are also two pdf files which I will eventually clear out with the grain and hop price lists. I don't think anyone has expressed interest in the hops and since there are better deals online, or at least really close, I don't think we are going to fool with it unless a bunch of people speak up and do so quickly...

So the link SHOULD send you to a folder, not a sheet. In the folder should be the last buy, Buy #12, and the new Buy #13 gsheets. I updated Buy #13 with the new grain prices and choices. I did not change #12 cuz a) I am lazy and b) I wanted it to be historically correct in case we ever need to refer back to it. There are also two pdf files which I will eventually clear out with the grain and hop price lists. I don't think anyone has expressed interest in the hops and since there are better deals online, or at least really close, I don't think we are going to fool with it unless a bunch of people speak up and do so quickly...

yep! although the grain i used the most is more expensive :'(

Hello all. New to the group grain buy and in need of grains!
I would like to buy:

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
1x 1850C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN 55 lb

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to picking up.

Hello all. New to the group grain buy and in need of grains!
I would like to buy:

1x RAH1002 Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to picking up.

Welcome to the group. Order added to the sheets. Cheers!

True confessions:

I'm new to all grain (boiling my 7th batch as I write) and can't choose between victory or biscuit so I'm just waiting for somebody else to start a split then I will pounce on 10 or 15 lbs of it.

No, I don't have a recipe mind, but knowing there's a grain opening in my collection leads to sleepless nights.

True confessions:

I'm new to all grain (boiling my 7th batch as I write) and can't choose between victory or biscuit so I'm just waiting for somebody else to start a split then I will pounce on 10 or 15 lbs of it.

No, I don't have a recipe mind, but knowing there's a grain opening in my collection leads to sleepless nights.

Go with Victory. It goes better with American grains. Biscuit can be emulated by using Maris instead of normal UK 2-row.

They're very similar and I pretty much use them interchangeably. Victory is slightly more toasty, almost nutty while Biscuit tastes a little drier if that makes sense.

Hi All,

I will give Avangard a try; the price looks really good. Also, going to start a few splits.

Sack order:
2x 1852C Avangard Premium Pale Ale 55lb

Starting the following splits:
#15 1866C Avangard Premium Wheat 55lb
#15 CRI1051 Crisp Brown 55lb
#15 WEY1009 Weyermann Pale Rye 55lb

Cheers,

Kirk

Hi All,

I will give Avangard a try; the price looks really good. Also, going to start a few splits.

Sack order:
2x 1852C Avangard Premium Pale Ale 55lb

Starting the following splits:
#15 1866C Avangard Premium Wheat 55lb
#15 CRI1051 Crisp Brown 55lb

Cheers,

Kirk

I'll get in on the avangard wheat split. I would like:

#10 1866C Avangard Premium Wheat 55lb

Thanks,
Sam

Both of the above have been added to the sheet.

Grain Type SKU Claimed (lbs) For Grabs (lbs)

AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM WHEAT 55 lb 1866C 25 30
Crisp Brown 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1051 15 40
Weyermann Pale Rye 25 kg (55 lb) WEY1009 15 40

(EDIT) - OK that didn't format the way I wanted...will work on a better way to present when I have more time. Cheers!

Guess everyone is chock full of grain, eh? Either that or summer vacations...gonna brew up a hop bomb this week myself...probably just create a recipe and use up some grain and hops I have on hand. Cheers all!

I'm another with full kegs and full grain bins. Any time I can get through the summer without brewing is a win.

A little sweat in your beer adds character, Rob!! :D I have a lot of half filled kegs it turns out...not sure why but looks like I must have been brewing a lot and putting new stuff on and taking out half filled kegs...guess I will start tossing them in the kegerator to see what's what! Most are labeled...the one that is not may just be water. :drunk:

A little sweat in your beer adds character, Rob!! :D I have a lot of half filled kegs it turns out...not sure why but looks like I must have been brewing a lot and putting new stuff on and taking out half filled kegs...guess I will start tossing them in the kegerator to see what's what! Most are labeled...the one that is not may just be water. :drunk:

you could drop one off here...ill give you some meade for it :)

I'm in:
Whole:
1x BRI1004 Briess Pilsen 50 lb
1x MUN1001 Muntons Pale Maris Otter 25 kg

Splits:
30# 1866C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM WHEAT - close the split

Just moving up to all grain. Anyone wants to split some bags, I have no stock at all.

Splits are only for specialty malts. No base grains. A lot of us already have a lot of stock, so might be hard to work it out. That said, you can always start a split and see if some will hop on. Good luck!

Splits are only for specialty malts. No base grains. A lot of us already have a lot of stock, so might be hard to work it out. That said, you can always start a split and see if some will hop on. Good luck!

I think that is what izzie means...he ordered some base above and now wants to go in on splits with others.

izzie - you will likely have luck with getting takers for any of the c grains (Carapils, C20, C40, C60, caraAroma, CaraMunich, etc.), the Munichs, flaked oats, the wheats, golden naked oats, golden promise, special B, victory, maybe chocolate or honey or biscuit, maris otter, and the like. A couple of those might be considered base malts but I think they are okay to split (MO and GP for instance). Good luck and welcome to the buy!:mug:

<EDIT> oh, and DME though whoever starts the split has to split the bag...that stuff can be a bit of a sticky mess!!

heya folks - hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL summer! i currently have a witbier and a hoppy saison flowing, and my black harvest ale is about to come on line. yet here i am planning my next grain purchase:

WHOLE SAC:
1 x 1850C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN 55 lb <-- Updated! was Weyermann late last night.

NEW SPLITS:
WEY1072 Weyermann Acidulated 25 kg (55 lb) - i'll take 10lbs
CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb) - i'll take 25 lbs

I have a lot of half filled kegs it turns out...
blend 'em!!!

I'll take some of these splits;

WEY1072 Weyermann Acidulated 25 kg (55 lb) - 10lbs
CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb) - 20lbs
CRI1051 Crisp Brown 25 kg (55 lb) - 10lbs
WEY1009 Weyermann Pale Rye 25 kg (55 lb) - 10lbs

heya folks - hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL summer! i currently have a witbier and a hoppy saison flowing, and my black harvest ale is about to come on line. yet here i am planning my next grain purchase:

WHOLE SAC:
1 x 1850CAVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PILSEN 55 lb <-- Updated! was Weyermann late last night.

NEW SPLITS:
WEY1072Weyermann Acidulated 25 kg (55 lb) - i'll take 10lbs
CRI1001Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb) - i'll take 25 lbs

blend 'em!!!

Hi All,

I have four Saisons online at the moment and will be making some Belgian Wits in a few weeks.

I would like to get in on some of the new splits:

WEY1072Weyermann Acidulated 25 kg (55 lb) - I would like 10 pounds
CRI1001Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb) - I would like to close it out, I think there is 10 pounds left.

Cheers,

Kirk

All entered! Below is what is still available in the splits department:

Grain Type SKU For Grabs (lbs)
Crisp Brown 25 kg (55 lb) CRI1051 30
Weyermann Pale Rye 25 kg (55 lb) WEY1009 30
Weyermann Acidulated 25 kg (55 lb) WEY1072 25

I would like to add a few things to my existing order:

1x 1928C BRIESS 2-ROW BREWERS MALT 50 LB
1x CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)

Thanks,
Sam

Not that I want to do this for this buy, but I'd really like to do a side-by-side of various 2-row base malts. Just picking through the list criefly I see(excluding pilsner malts):

• Briess Brewers Malt 50 lb
  • Briess Pale Ale 50 lb
  • Château Pale Ale 25 Kg (55 lb)
  • Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)
  • Crisp Gleneagles Maris Otter 25 kg (55 lb)
  • Malting Co. of Ireland Irish Ale 25 kg (55 lb)
  • Rahr Pale Ale 50 lb
  • Rahr Standard 2-Row 50 lb
  • Simpsons Finest Pale Ale Golden Promise 25 kg (55 lb)
  • Weyermann Pale Ale 25 kg (55 lb)
  • AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM PALE ALE 55 lb
  • DINGEMANS PALE ALE 55 LB BAG
  • MUNTONS PALE MALT (PROPINO) 55 lb

In a future buy, does anyone have interest it doing splits of 4ish base malts for experimentation? I've always been really curious about the difference between Briess, Muntons, and Rahr 2-row for instance. I know this kind of (by which I mean completely) violates the no splitting base malt sacks rule so feel free to call me a troublemaking fool and dismiss me outright.

In a future buy, does anyone have interest it doing splits of 4ish base malts for experimentation? I've always been really curious about the difference between Briess, Muntons, and Rahr 2-row for instance. I know this kind of (by which I mean completely) violates the no splitting base malt sacks rule so feel free to call me a troublemaking fool and dismiss me outright.

So what I think you should do if you get some folks interested is just work the splits between yourselves. One person buys the grain, you work out paying each other, and we will help you split it at the buy. I encourage any type of experimentation with brewing, so I think we can accommodate if we don't have to do the extra "paperwork". Make sense or have I had one too many?:drunk:

I would like to add a few things to my existing order:

1x 1928C BRIESS 2-ROW BREWERS MALT 50 LB
1x CRI1001 Crisp Finest Maris Otter Ale 25 kg (55 lb)

Thanks,
Sam

All added! This puts us at 11 whole sacks, 2 completed splits, 3 splits with 85 lbs available.

Hi there, first group buy for me!

Full sacks:
1x 1862C AVANGARD MALZ PREMIUM VIENNA 55 lb

Splits:

Thanks for running this!
Matt

Back