Anheuser Busch and their deceptive marketing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really could care less what the OP thinks about BMC beers. I am thinking though that his closed minded attitude towards others who do drink it is something I would not like to be around.

Every Friday night a group of 5 or 6 of us get together for beer and cigar night. Out of everyone only one person does not like home brew and drinks bud light only. I think that is great and when I brewed a Christmas porter to give to my friends along with a loaf of home made bread I stopped and got him some Bud instead of my home brew.

I also wonder what the OP does when ever he cannot take bottles somewhere. I ride a sled and 4 wheeler and brother let me tell you a case of bottles is just to dang heavy in a backpack.

There is a time and place for everything beer related at least in my book and rare is the night I turn up my nose at a beer be it home brew or store bought.

I also wonder what the OP does when ever he cannot take bottles somewhere. I ride a sled and 4 wheeler and brother let me tell you a case of bottles is just to dang heavy in a backpack.

There is a time and place for everything beer related at least in my book and rare is the night I turn up my nose at a beer be it home brew or store bought.

Is this a serious quandary? Oskar Blues, Brooklyn, Sierra, 21st Amendment, New Belgium and many more make craft beer available in cans.

I agree there are times and places for various beers, but I almost never drink BMC. Yuenging is my cheap beer.

Is this a serious quandary? Oskar Blues, Brooklyn, Sierra, 21st Amendment, New Belgium and many more make craft beer available in cans.

I agree there are times and places for various beers, but I almost never drink BMC. Yuenging is my cheap beer.

Well heck I had no idea. I have not bought beer for a long time and when I did buy beer for riding it stuck with Bush beer. I guess I need to have a look at the beer isle again:D

Well heck I had no idea. I have not bought beer for a long time and when I did buy beer for riding it stuck with Bush beer. I guess I need to have a look at the beer isle again:D

Canning is the future of craft beer. Because there's basically no chance of oxidation.

Canning is the future of craft beer. Because there's basically no chance of oxidation.

I would love to can my homebrew but I think it is still out of range for me as a homebrewer. I have seen though that the canning machine is not so bad anymore it is just having to buy a semi full of cans up front that makes it hard

There was an episode of Southpark where a large coffee chain was overtaking small coffee shops. Towards the end of the episode, a character takes a drink from the coffee conglomerate's cup and he says "wow, actually this IS a really good cup of coffee," I'm not saying that I prefer BMC over craft however, those companies didn't get so big because they produce a product that people don't want. I'm constantly coming into contact with people who only like "light" beers and don't enjoy what I make. I'm not upset at this, but it's what they prefer. As long as I don't have to drink it all the time, I'm fine with it.

I would love to can my homebrew but I think it is still out of range for me as a homebrewer. I have seen though that the canning machine is not so bad anymore it is just having to buy a semi full of cans up front that makes it hard

Almost certainly. A company based out of Athens, GA named Dixie Canning or something like that makescanners, but since there's no price listed on their website, I have to assume it's way more than the average person would consider paying.For brewers it's different because they have to buy an expensive machine eitherway, that the cost of canning may verywell be worth it.

There was an episode of Southpark where a large coffee chain was overtaking small coffee shops. Towards the end of the episode, a character takes a drink from the coffee conglomerate's cup and he says "wow, actually this IS a really good cup of coffee," I'm not saying that I prefer BMC over craft however, those companies didn't get so big because they produce a product that people don't want. I'm constantly coming into contact with people who only like "light" beers and don't enjoy what I make. I'm not upset at this, but it's what they prefer. As long as I don't have to drink it all the time, I'm fine with it.

Most people who drink light beers and like them have been drinking it most of their life. The only person I know who genuinely enjoy light lagers fit that mold. Like my grandfather. For him Yuengling is a heavy beer. Most of my friends who drink light lagers do it cause it's cheap.

I just can't get enough of these threads!

"*****. . . moan. . . .complain. . . . InBev. "

If AB owns 90% of the market that means 90% of your family and friends are happy drinking it. If people didn't buy it they wouldn't sell it.

Instead of complaining, why don't you go tell your friends how enlightened you are about beer and see their reaction?

From a business perspective, the AB spokesperson was probably genuinely interested in your opinion. I'm sure they are dying to have a product that people would be willing to pay $10 for a six pack.

I vote with my money when it comes to things like this, don't like the product then simply don't buy it.

If offered a taste sample of a new brew from AB I would gladly take it and see what it's like. Why wouldn't I? It is free after all and it may show that even a big company is making a change in some fashion to cater to a growing market to increase sales, perfectly acceptable.

This does a few things, first it opens up a wider audience for craft beers by a company that a lot of people still swear by. These people may not buy a DFH because it is a brand recognition issue, but once they try and get used to an AB offering of a "craft brew" they may be open to trying a wider variety and actually enjoy the true crafters offerings more...maybe not but if not then no loss and no gain right?

Second it shows to consumers of beer that there is a growing trend towards beers with more flavor, this makes AB admit they have slept at the wheel longer than they thought and are worried about market loss. It makes the consumer wonder why the market is growing rather steadily and why a big brewer such as AB would go after that market...which in turn causes said consumer to try out other offerings and so on.

So overall I see it as nothing but positive they are doing this and I have no reason to try and tear down some representative just doing his job when I know it will go no further than him thinking craft drinkers are nothing but di*ks.

The OP said he doesn't like the business practices of the big companies. While I think that's misguided, because I really doubt that those companies are *trying to destroy* the competition or the little guys, it has nothing to do with getting it in cans, or even if people like the taste. It's about a particular stance that he has (anti-big business).

That said, I suspect the big companies have done more to turn people on to beer than the little guys do. Fewer customers for beer means fewer for ALL of the market.

That said, I suspect the big companies have done more to turn people on to beer than the little guys do. Fewer customers for beer means fewer for ALL of the market.

And don't forget R&D advances in brewing (brewing techniques, hop development & contracts, packaging, shipping, etc.) that are happening in the mega breweries because they have the R&D capital that the small guys do not. But every brewery is benefitting.

ericbw is right. The major issue the OP had was not about the quality of the beer itself, although we are all entitled to our own opinions about that. The OP's issue is that he felt like he was being deceived by the AHB rep, which judging by his post it absolutely seemed like he was trying to deceive him.

I quite agree with the general opinion here that "Big Beer" has no hope of overtaking craft brewing as they have tried to do in the past. But they have certainly done their fair share of work inhibiting the growth of craft brewing. They were directly responsible for laws requiring distribution companies to be private businesses which restricted smaller brewing companies from being able to distribute their own beers. Because they had to hire other companies (like "Big Beer" distribution companies) their profits took a big hit.

SO... lets not debate whether or not AHB makes a quality product or not or whether big business/non-American owned business are good for our economy or not.

Lets discuss the original topic at hand: is AHB/"big beer" deceitful and unfair in the way they do business especially with regard to marketing and especially with regard to the OP's experience in the store.

No matter what side of the fence you're on there's a larger point, the re-emergence of Americas beer culture.Even the late great Michael Jackson(not the singer) said that the new great beer styles would be American in origin.There's something really amazing going on in this country, if anyone or any company wants to join I say welcome.In the end the consumer will ultimately decied which beer is here to stay.

...Becks Sapphire garbage....

Probably off-topic, but yes, Sapphire is terrible. Sweet, fruity, metallic, and corny like any given malt liquor. Regular Beck's, OTOH, is crisp, subtle, and toasty.

If you don't like it you don't have to stick it to a salesman just trying to make a living; just drink his free beer and buy the good $hizzle

Wasn't "sticking it to the salesman" first of all. He was being pushy. He asked me if wanted a sample and i declined and he persisted with "why?" I mean seriously? Why? Does it matter? I don't want the sample, buddy, just leave it at that. So then he has to go on and claim that they're "in alliance" with the craft brew industry as they are in alliance with CBA........which are beer companies that they own all or part of. That's not an alliance with the craft brew industry, that's an alliance with yourself, which isn't an alliance at all by definition. I mean, if he was just trying to fire me up, he succeeded, b/c i'm very passionate about defining craft vs crafty beer. People think that when they are buying a Blue Moon, they are supporting a craft brewery, but they are really supporting Coors. Maybe they know that, maybe they don't, but it certainly isn't advertised to the consumer in any way.

this link kinda sums it up
http://beerpulse.com/2012/12/brewer...-pease-schlaflys-kopman-call-out-faux-crafts/

Which makes money for American shareholders. Successful businesses are good for our economy.

Not true!!! There is a reason we have anti-monopoly laws in this country; every time they buy out a small business they eliminate jobs and funnel more and more money to a smaller few people at the top. Mitt Romney and the rest of the capital gains crowd don't spend money proportionate to their "earnings" and thus siphon money out of the economy making it weaker. AHB does not help the American beer scene, they are making it weaker. I would love to grow more varieties of hops, but Budweiser has an agricultural restriction in place here so I can only grow the same ones they do. Also their industrial farming model hurts small farmers and the small communitys they live in. Down with the robber barrons.

I love how they keep changing the definition of craft breweries to fit their purposes.

Just a few years ago it was defined as less than 2,000,000 bbl/year. But Yuengling and Sam Adams were making more than that, so they changed it to 6,000,000.

And, AHA allows a craft designation if they're less than 25% owned by the big boys.

Wasn't "sticking it to the salesman" first of all. He was being pushy. He asked me if wanted a sample and i declined and he persisted with "why?" I mean seriously? Why? Does it matter? I don't want the sample, buddy, just leave it at that. So then he has to go on and claim that they're "in alliance" with the craft brew industry as they are in alliance with CBA........which are beer companies that they own all or part of. That's not an alliance with the craft brew industry, that's an alliance with yourself, which isn't an alliance at all by definition. I mean, if he was just trying to fire me up, he succeeded, b/c i'm very passionate about defining craft vs crafty beer. People think that when they are buying a Blue Moon, they are supporting a craft brewery, but they are really supporting Coors. Maybe they know that, maybe they don't, but it certainly isn't advertised to the consumer in any way.

this link kinda sums it up
http://beerpulse.com/2012/12/brewer...-pease-schlaflys-kopman-call-out-faux-crafts/

If you truly believe that Blue Moon drinkers REALLY care who they are supporting then you my friend are misguided. I have a small circle of friends that enjoy homebrew/craft brew but a larger circle that don't give a rats ass who makes the beer. Most of the females care more about calories than anything else and the males only care about quantity. So to them, manufacturer has no impact.

I live in Minnesota, quite a lot of delicious craft beer here and a large amount of home brewers. (At least that I know of) but OP I feel your pain. But you have to realize we live in America, corporate stuff like Coors, Miller, etc. happen in all industries. Its sad, but true. At least good beer is still being produced and we can produce our own beer. In some countries and even some states here in the US don't allow you to homebrew (legally).

Yes, they are at an all time high, but still less than 10% of the market share. so what does that say? 90% of Americans are still being influenced by the marketing and are too brand loyal to open their eyes to better beer. ie. "i'm a coors light man" ........really? well ur effing stupid coors light man. uve been tricked into liking only ONE brand of ONE style and you've more or less committed yourself to it for life. For what??? What does drinking the same exact beer for your whole life get you? do they send you a fanny pack to put your cigarettes in? No, they dont care, as long as you're drinking the "coldest tasting beer" thats all you care about, right? but guess what? "Cold" isn't a flavor....and furthermore it dulls ur taste buds. I'd think 90% of America would be smart enough to rely on their actual taste buds to tell them if something is good or not, but no, BMC marketing and brand loyalty is trying to destroy the craft of brewing.

I guess I really don't understand your logic. Are you pissed off at competition between BMC and craft breweries, or are you pissed that they are using the word "craft"? And am I allowed to say that I am a Sierra Nevada guy? Now that they are expanding to the East Coast, are they too big to fit into the "craft" movement? Are we going to change it to BMCSN?
I've spent a little time in the midwest and yes, it really is BMC country, but the only other beer I could count on finding (almost) was Sierra Nevada PA. Grossman better be careful or he will find himself labeled as a "sell out" for getting to big and spreading yummy beer from coast to coast. I'm guessing that's how Bud, Coors, and the like got to be so big.

Spend less time being pissed at the form of competition our marketplaces have created and spend more time educating your friends and family as to what a truly delicious beer is.

-I think I quoted the wrong post, but my point remains

I'm still curious how long the OP has been a craft drinker and what his drinking habits were before.

And I fully agree with whomever said something about BMC helping to bridge the gap from cheap beer to quality beer.

I've been a craft brew drinker for 12 years, and before that, I drank BMC b/c I never had an opportunity to really try anything else. As soon as i started drinking craft beers, I really liked them, and kept trying more as my palate developed. I drank BMC socially since getting your friends to drink a keg full of IPA was not going to happen. I was drinking swill, sure, I knew it, I didn't really like the beer, it tastes bad to me. But an ice cold natty light from a $35 keg was fine considering the party was about the socializing and not the taste of the beer. I'm not the kind of guy who would bring his own sixer to a party b/c he refuses to drink what everyone else is drinking, it was a social thing.

Why are you so interested in my drinking habits?

So all the workers at the plants in the US are flown to and from their home countries before and after each shift?

I said i don't care about canada or belgium's profit not the wages they pay to their american workers. I support american workers obviously, i just wish the corporations they worked for were american corporations, but they're not, so their profit does not increase America's GDP.......unless for some reason it does, but i wouldn't think so

I really could care less what the OP thinks about BMC beers. I am thinking though that his closed minded attitude towards others who do drink it is something I would not like to be around.

Dude, seriously, if u read my posts, i clearly state that i don't have a problem with people who drink BMC, I DON'T HAVE A CLOSE MINDED ATTITUDE towards those people. If people like BMC, drink it, good, be happy. I'm not telling you to drink craft beer. My entire freaking point was, I DID take the high road, I said no when he asked me if i wanted to sample it. But the rep was the one being pushy about it. And i don't like these corporations feeding lies to the public like "we're in alliance with the craft brewers" when that's not true. "Turn my nose up?" no, i just walked away and went about my business, i didn't care to get in some pointless argument that would have no conclusion. The fact is I don't support In-Bev anymore in any way. That's my choice, i'm not being a snob. Why r u calling me out for having my opinion about them? It's not about their beer, it's about their platform; i enjoy being a customer, not just a demographic. Many of these craft brewers started off homebrewing in their garages just like us and they get off on people actually enjoying their beer, and so do i, i connect with that.

Profits go to workers and plant operation? I'm confused.I thought profits were after expence, I might be wrong though.

no, you are correct. the difference between your revenue and your expenses is your profit/loss

McMalty said:
Dude, seriously, if u read my posts, i clearly state that i don't have a problem with people who drink BMC, I DON'T HAVE A CLOSE MINDED ATTITUDE towards those people. If people like BMC, drink it, good, be happy. I'm not telling you to drink craft beer. My entire freaking point was, I DID take the high road, I said no when he asked me if i wanted to sample it. But the rep was the one being pushy about it. And i don't like these corporations feeding lies to the public like "we're in alliance with the craft brewers" when that's not true. "Turn my nose up?" no, i just walked away and went about my business, i didn't care to get in some pointless argument that would have no conclusion. The fact is I don't support In-Bev anymore in any way. That's my choice, i'm not being a snob. Why r u calling me out for having my opinion about them? It's not about their beer, it's about their platform; i enjoy being a customer, not just a demographic. Many of these craft brewers started off homebrewing in their garages just like us and they get off on people actually enjoying their beer, and so do i, i connect with that.

I think you're trying to make the point that big business beer companies CLAIM to be partnering with craft brewers when in fact they OWN those brewers/brand names.

so you feel like the big biz guys are deceptive when they use those names instead of calling it something like Coors Belgian-Style White Ale instead of Blue Moon?

(I like blue moon AND Shock Top, and I don't really mind who makes them.)

I don't think many (any??) have encountered the beer company saying they are in alliance with craft brewers, so no one seems to relate to the point you're making.

Profits go to workers and plant operation? I'm confused.I thought profits were after expence, I might be wrong though.

People make like every dime leaves the country.

The point is there is quite a lot of money from these operations going into the American economy.

so their profit does not increase America's GDP.......unless for some reason it does, but i wouldn't think so

GDP is the monetary value of all the finished goods and services produced within a country's borders in a specific time period. Not sure that it has anything directly to do with profits.

They make lots of beer in the USA. That goes toward the GDP.

Listen folks, I'm the OP, and i want to apologize if I offended anyone. During my original post i was worked up and rambling. I'm not against corporations, or capitalism, or people just doing their jobs, or the freedom to drink what u like and not be judged. I simply feel like the AB rep was antagonizing me a bit and my personal opinion is that BMC would love nothing more than for the craft bubble to burst so that they don't have to compete with craft. I'm not a beer snob, i do however refuse support certain corporations for various reasons that i don't feel like getting into again. I truly don't like their beer and it this point in my life, it's not worth it for me to waste my time drinking something I don't like. But the original point I was trying to make was regarding what i believe to be deceptive marketing practices by BMC and how that they trickle down to the lowest level of their employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back