American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Location means nothing. There's plenty of ****ty brewers in the top 10 brewing cities, and plenty of amazing brewers in the bottom 10 brewing cities. Location has absolutely nothing to do with skill. The fact that you live in Grand Rapids is pure coincidence to the fact that it's a top brewing city... unless you moved there out of jealousy of famous brewers, in which case you likely have a problem.

OP, this recipe sounds remarkably like Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, though a little ramped up. I'm looking to order hops for now until the fall harvest and I'm pretty interested in your recipe. How would you say it compares to Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, or if you haven't tried it, where can I send a bottle for your opinion?

IDK the purpose your digs in my direction, everything i stated was an annoyed remark to sjohnv3 because of the constant arguing when hes never had the original and probably never made this recipe.. he had nothing to do with the recipe nor any useful input, but felt the need to continue to annoy us. My response was to prove a point that just cause he has a few local breweries dosent make him an expert on a product hes never had.. and i know there are plenty of good breweries that make good/bad beer and vice versa and same goes for other cities.. and i sure as hell wasnt claiming to be an expert just because where i live (though it does help very strong brewing community) he sure as hell made it seem that way in his last post that pushed me over the edge.. and working in the industry does give myself a little more insight in-regards to the breweries in my backyard(such as the original reason for this thread).

btw born and raised here

Research my friend, it's for the children!! ( or children at heart... ) ;)

I'm planning on brewing this again in a couple of weeks when I get settled in at the new digs. I'm thinking about upping the 5 and 1 min additions. Shouldn't be enough to raise the IBU's past where they are in the original.

Oh, and I will update with a pic. This beer has cleared so well, it's like you don't even know their flaked wheat in the beer until you get a taste of it!

so i got ur pics compare and adjust let me know what you tweak im talking SWMBO into a pound of citra cuz she just had this and loved it... funny zombie dust was too much but this was perfect.

Thanks for the clarification, OP. Think I might put this one on the list for a few months out. It's becoming a longer list than I expected. :S

IDK the purpose your digs in my direction, everything i stated was an annoyed remark to sjohnv3 because of the constant arguing when hes never had the original and probably never made this recipe.. he had nothing to do with the recipe nor any useful input, but felt the need to continue to annoy us. My response was to prove a point that just cause he has a few local breweries dosent make him an expert on a product hes never had.. and i know there are plenty of good breweries that make good/bad beer and vice versa and same goes for other cities..

Didn't bother read his. Was pretty obviously troll bait. Don't feed the trolls.

and i sure as hell wasnt claiming to be an expert just because where i live (though it does help very strong brewing community) he sure as hell made it seem that way in his last post that pushed me over the edge.. and working in the industry does give myself a little more insight in-regards to the breweries in my backyard(such as the original reason for this thread).

Well, that's how it came across in text. My apologies for misreading.

btw born and raised here

Cool?

so i got ur pics compare and adjust let me know what you tweak im talking SWMBO into a pound of citra cuz she just had this and loved it... funny zombie dust was too much but this was perfect.

I'm not going to tweak it. The color and clarity are spot on from your pictures, and from what I remembered it to be.

I think my only change would be to add roughly another half ounce at 10 and 5, and maybe take back the 2 ounce at flame out to 1.5, as I felt it was lost a bit and could be used for dry hopping.

2oz min for dry hopping to get the blast you in the olfactory goodness of Citra is a must in this recipe.

My brew buddy and I just brewed up a batch of this over the past weekend. We mistakenly bought only 5 oz of citra instead of 6, so we decided to eliminate the 1 min addition and reduce the flameout to 1 oz. That still leaves 2 oz for dry hopping, though, which I thought would be key. Very excited to try it. It's not quite a SMaSH, but since I'm still pretty new to all this, I am into single-hop beers at the moment to really get a sense of the differences.

Awesome, great to hear.

Yeah, it's not a smash because it's got crystal ( 2 kinds ) and wheat in it, but it's a single hop beer.

Let us know how your changes in the late hopping came out?

I'm planning on kicking back the flame out steep a bit, and adding more at 10 for flavor next time. It's on deck to rebrew, in hopes that spring will hurry up and come on.. It's good on a hot day, thats for sure.

Id add a little more in the beginning and a little less toward the end.. Maybe .75 oz at boil and drop a half off the flame out.

MoeIPA said:
Id add a little more in the beginning and a little less toward the end.. Maybe .75 oz at boil and drop a half off the flame out.

What would that fix that you feel us wrong about this clone ?

That would raise the ibus and reduce the aroma and flavor.

Keep in mind this is a clone. It's 41 ibus. That's the number I'm working with here. I felt it needed just a little more flavor and aroma. Personal preference I'm sure. It's a super close clone I think.

oh it is a great clone! I had it when i was up at Hop Cat a couple weeks ago in Grand Rapids.. I just felt that with the fantastic aroma, the beer itself lacked a little on the hop flavor.. I added a little more hops in the beginning and liked how it tasted.. Just personal taste

this is a fantastic recipe and just drips of pineapple smell, i'm going to try this recipe again and add about 3 pounts of pasturized pineapple to the secondary while dry hopping.

Good to hear!

Did you brew the recipe I posted, or take a stab at it on your own?

I agree that I myself, would have liked a little more hop flavor, which is why I too think that it would be closer if I added some from the flame out and whirlpool/stand addition and put them in around 10-7 minutes. I'd have to tinker with it to keep the IBU's and the balance there, but I think it'll be easy enough.

Brewed this on Saturday, can't wait to try it! Pretty much stuck to the original recipe you posted but bumped up the 10 addition to 1 oz.

i did .50 oz at FW 60min and did 1 oz at each 10 and 5 min point.

Smells fantastic and it's currently carbing for superbowl sunday.. I'll post pics sunday/monday.

Hello from Canada (New Westminster BC specifically)!
We're going to brew your recipe this Sunday. We've been looking for a slightly more hoppy Pale Ale to make and this seems to fit the bill exactly. I've never tried the 'Oddsides' original.
However, I haven't been able to find Citra hops at local homebrewing suppliers. So my choices are:
1. substitute Willamette for Citra at $X and hope for the best.
2. substitute Centennial for Citra (free in my freezer) and hope for the best.

Both these choices will obviously affect the final product & therefore be different than this clone. I'm just looking for some opinion to make the best of my situation. Cheers!

We're going to brew your recipe this Sunday. We've been looking for a slightly more hoppy Pale Ale to make and this seems to fit the bill exactly. I've never tried the 'Oddsides' original.
However, I haven't been able to find Citra hops at local homebrewing suppliers. So my choices are:

Both these choices will obviously affect the final product & therefore be different than this clone. I'm just looking for some opinion to make the best of my situation. Cheers!

Sorry to say there is NO sub for citra.. but if u wanna follow this recipe and sub hops i would suggest belma and cascade williamette is to low and clean to really see any benefits of hop bursting.. and i think centinnal would be to resiny/floral.. not enough fruit behind either of the two

How well does this clear up? I actually have not used wheat in a PA yet so I was wondering if it remains cloudy longer than a non wheat beer?

I think I am going to follow the OP recipe, with maybe the addition of a little Galaxy in there somewhere :D

Sorry to say there is NO sub for citra.. but if u wanna follow this recipe and sub hops i would suggest belma and cascade williamette is to low and clean to really see any benefits of hop bursting.. and i think centinnal would be to resiny/floral.. not enough fruit behind either of the two

Thanks for the input. I can get my hands on some Chinook; would that be closer to Citra? Gonna have to talk to my LHBS about ordering more hops varieties and get some Citra for a future batch of this.

No real sub for Citra, but if you want to use the grist I have, it'll work fantastic for a simple Pale. Centennial would work great in a pale, willamette, ehh.. not so much, but it wouldn't be bad.

How well does this clear up? I actually have not used wheat in a PA yet so I was wondering if it remains cloudy longer than a non wheat beer?

I think I am going to follow the OP recipe, with maybe the addition of a little Galaxy in there somewhere :D

It clear up nicely if you use a good flocc. yeast. I used US05, I think that or 1056 would work nicely.

Down the road, I'd try some 1272 perhaps to get even more of the citrusy notes, but I think a nice clean profile fits better.

BRY97 would work, but might take a bit to clear over US05. It does remain slightly cloudy longer, but if I had to guess... maybe a week longer? I like it slightly cloudy myself, but with the amount of wheat in there, you don't see it, but you feel it in your sip, and you see it in the head retention and lacing.

Someone else in the thread, did it with some Galaxy. I think it would be good, and if you didn't care to clone the original. I'd toss the Galaxy in with the Citra at 10min, and save some for dry hop myself. That would be good.

Thanks for the input. I can get my hands on some Chinook; would that be closer to Citra? Gonna have to talk to my LHBS about ordering more hops varieties and get some Citra for a future batch of this.

If you want to make a good pale, Centennial and Chinook would work nicely. It won't taste anything like this beer, but it will make a very good beer anyways.

Thanks for the reply! I have a bunch of saved 05 that I was planning to use. I want to enter this into the local homebrew comp this spring. Hope you dont mind me stealing it! It will need to be clear-ish so I dont lose any points.

I have been going to Grand Haven for YEARS and have never checked out Oddsides. WTF! Will be a regular there this summer. I hear they fill growlers and let you "bring your own food" is that correct?

It will clear, no worries. I have some pretty clear stuff here. Can see through the glass and see the logo on the other side easily.

If you haven't had Oddsides, you are missing something. I'm from GA, and had it while up there for work. It's super good stuff there. Their Citra Pale Ale is widely loved, amongst places like BeerAdvocate and such. It's a good, good easy drinking beer that showcases a good hop.

hey fatc1ty, just tried mine last night, been in the keg for 10 days and it doesnt seen to have much body to it.. I know it's a PA, but it's a little on the watery side with a great hop smell and initial taste. I had it in primary for 10 days, secondary for 10 days and now in the fridge on gas for 10 days.. How long before you felt the beer fully " matured " ?

If you want to make a good pale, Centennial and Chinook would work nicely. It won't taste anything like this beer, but it will make a very good beer anyways.

Thanks man!
Last question(s) about water; how much did you mash with and what was your pre-boil volume?

hey fatc1ty, just tried mine last night, been in the keg for 10 days and it doesnt seen to have much body to it.. I know it's a PA, but it's a little on the watery side with a great hop smell and initial taste. I had it in primary for 10 days, secondary for 10 days and now in the fridge on gas for 10 days.. How long before you felt the beer fully " matured " ?

It's gonna be light bodied for sure. I felt that after 2.5 weeks in the keg, it really hit the sweetspot. I think you are only a few days off. What volumes are you carbing to?

What was your finished gravity? This beer needs to finish around 1.012 or 1.013. I mashed at 152*, and felt that I easily could have done 154 and not get it too heavy.

I set mine to 10psi and leave it.

Thanks man!
Last question(s) about water; how much did you mash with and what was your pre-boil volume?

I mashed in with around 4.8 gallons of water, and mashed at 152*. Sparge with just shy of 5 gal. Preboil is normally around 7.25 gallons to get to my 5.5 gal in the fermenter.

Your volumes may vary, along with kettle size, and boil off rate.

FATC1TY said:
I mashed in with around 4.8 gallons of water, and mashed at 152*. Sparge with just shy of 5 gal. Preboil is normally around 7.25 gallons to get to my 5.5 gal in the fermenter.

Your volumes may vary, along with kettle size, and boil off rate.

I have mine set at 10 psi for 10 days in a 38 degree fridge.. FG was about 1.013 also mashed about 152 - 154 5.5 gallon boil

I have mine set at 10 psi for 10 days in a 38 degree fridge.. FG was about 1.013 also mashed about 152 - 154 5.5 gallon boil

Give it another week, and see then. I felt this beer was "ready" to drink taste wise after a week on the gas myself. I thought it really hit the high point a week or two after that in the keg. It cleared out, and the aroma and flavor really got concentrated and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Body wise, mine felt just like the original from what I could remember. If it's not where you want it, then perhaps the beer might be too light bodied for your tastes. Could attempt to mash higher next time, and alter the recipe to give you a fuller body. I tend to like my Pales and IPA's on the light to light-medium body myself, so this fit the bill.

Just bottled this on Saturday. I followed the recipe quite closely, but as I mentioned, accidentally only bought 5 oz of Citra and so had to eliminate the 1min and end-of-boil additions. I also used White Labs WLP001. The flat beer tasted delicious, and the aroma was amazing. I also really liked the body the wheat gave it. I will hold off on a full evaluation until I have some carbonated, but I think some more flavor additions would have been useful--though of course, I already under did it relative to the recipe myself!

Hope it turns out well. I updated my changes in the original recipe I posted. I'm going to rebrew this soon and have it on tap for the spring to roll around.

I always chuckle at some of the posts in a "clone" thread. Im not trying to hate, but the purpose of the OP is to share a clone recipe of an existing beer. Its purpose is not to tweak, modify, change, revise, or alter the recipe. The purpose is not to give advice on how other combinations of ingredients would work LOL. It just makes me laugh sometimes. OK Im done being an a** :D

I always chuckle at some of the posts in a "clone" thread. Im not trying to hate, but the purpose of the OP is to share a clone recipe of an existing beer. Its purpose is not to tweak, modify, change, revise, or alter the recipe. The purpose is not to give advice on how other combinations of ingredients would work LOL. It just makes me laugh sometimes. OK Im done being an a** :D

I agree to a degree, but I think the great thing about brewing is the core point that you can change it so YOU like it.

But you are right. This is a direct clone of OS Citra Pale Ale, and changing obviously isn't going to make the intended beer. It'll surely make a great beer if you change the hop schedule around, but it's not the clone that you came looking for.

Oh yeah.. speaking of the beer.

Enjoying the above mentioned beer right now.. Oh so tasty, it's really good, but I'm pretty sure there are only about 2-3 more pulls of this from the keg! Need to do a double brew day this weekend now that I'm moved into my new pad.

05B4F5DF-FADB-4B75-99DB-B137314C6553-1334-000001CE6480E9E9_zpsd7b9ed0d.jpg

Here's a really close clone of the Citra Pale Ale from Oddsides, in Grand Haven, Michigan. Very close to what I remember it tasting like.

It's a fantastically, easy drinking, ultra flavorful Pale Ale. These guys make one of the best Pale's I've ever had, and the Brewer, and the Brewery are TOP NOTCH. The Headbrewer gave me some "direction" in designing/guessing the recipe, and it helped me greatly. I believe this one is very close to the original, and if anything makes a fantastic, easy drinking beer that is good to the last drop!

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
0.40 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 18.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 10.7 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Flameout 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Other 13 -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Ferment it out cool, around 66-67*F.

It's a great tasting, balanced, and fruity Pale Ale. If you hate Citra, you are in the wrong place. The wheat is what gives this beer the slightly creamier, heavier mouthfeel that makes you love it. The lacing and head on the beer are perfect. So refreshing!

5179A669-8DDB-48E1-A937-54059FCF16CC-2261-000003D7790963AD.jpg

B3967653-15AA-4E36-BC98-59A8603F0A43-3235-000005919BEC45D3.jpg

I am new to brewing and i am still bottling my beer, my question is how do i dry hop. i have never done it

thanks
jim

I agree to a degree, but I think the great thing about brewing is the core point that you can change it so YOU like it.

But you are right. This is a direct clone of OS Citra Pale Ale, and changing obviously isn't going to make the intended beer. It'll surely make a great beer if you change the hop schedule around, but it's not the clone that you came looking for.

Oh yeah.. speaking of the beer.

Enjoying the above mentioned beer right now.. Oh so tasty, it's really good, but I'm pretty sure there are only about 2-3 more pulls of this from the keg! Need to do a double brew day this weekend now that I'm moved into my new pad.

05B4F5DF-FADB-4B75-99DB-B137314C6553-1334-000001CE6480E9E9_zpsd7b9ed0d.jpg

I agree that the OP is for the clone, but some of us that change the recipe around to get a different flavor shouldnt be called out. It just adds our .02 instead of creating a new thread as " OS Citra Pale ale with a different hop schedule " perhaps someone who likes hops, like me, would love this beer more with a slightly modified hop schedule. I'm glad i read a post on here that said to add more at the 60 and double the 15 and 10 as it made the beer more enjoyable for me. I'm happy i did that rather than brewing a 5 gallon batch that had a slightly less hop character than what i remembered that the OS Citra pale ale had whtn i tried it 2 months ago..

great beer by the way and look forward to taking this recipe and modifying it a little more to play with the flavors. Like dry hop with citra and pasturized pineapple.

I am new to brewing and i am still bottling my beer, my question is how do i dry hop. i have never done it

thanks
jim

dry hopping is adding additional hops after the primary fermentation is complete. I like to transfer my beer from the fermenter to a glass carboy to dry hop my beer from anywhere from 7 - 10 days. Dry hopping doesnt add to the bitterness of the beer, it adds to the aroma.

:mug:

How do you think this would be if you eliminated the FWH and only did the hop bursting?

I guess I ask because I am planning to make this. I found this which is based on AleSmith Evil Dead Red and doesn't add any hops until the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute boil. It also mashes at 154, which should produce a lot of sweetness, but this beer only has 24 IBU. I would think it be unbalanced as well, but people rave over the Evil Dead Red.

I guess I ask because I am planning to make this. I found this which is based on AleSmith Evil Dead Red and doesn't add any hops until the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute boil. It also mashes at 154, which should produce a lot of sweetness, but this beer only has 24 IBU. I would think it be unbalanced as well, but people rave over the Evil Dead Red.

.. cant really compare a beer with 23 ibus to a completly different beer with 60ibus.. plus red ale vs apa completly different

Back