BLEW UP bottles pasteurizing - will I have bottle bombs in the fridge?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG_IBU_Bunghole

Reaction score
I made the 5 day sweet country cider recipe and tried the stove top pasteurization "sticky" method

3/6 bottles blew the tops off
1/6 the glass blew up

So, I put them all in the fridge hoping that would stop fermentation. I've tried to look up info on cold crashing and it appears people generally cold crash the fermenter, though some people say things about cold crashing if you have room for all the bottles.

I've searched and only determined that the manufacturer recommends fermentation temps for US-05 of 59-75F, but don't know just how low I need to go to ensure they stop any fermentation.

I'm worried these things will start blowing up in the fridge!

highly carbonated after one day

This is going to be your problem here. Pappers makes it very clear that high levels of carbonation/pressure in the bottles voids the warranty on his technique. Not only does he warn about this - but if you read the entire thread you will see many discussions on the same topic.

If you're worried about them blowing up, just open them up and let the CO2 out for a bit - stop the explosion before it happens. You can always recap them later after they've had a chance to 'die down' a bit.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

He said, "if the carbonation level is too high, if you have gushing bottles for example," and the bottle I opened was a lot more carbonated than my kegs (2.2 volumes), but not gushing so I thought it'd be fine. I read 7 pages of that thread before proceeding... tons of info, but tons of noise! I also figured I had fermented on the long side of the recipe and bottle carbed on the short side, but next time I'm going to let it ferment a lot longer. Live and learn.

I'm guessing opening the bottles won't oxygenate the cider because there should be enough CO2 pushing out of the bottles.

Back