pure maltodextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scrawbag said:
i can buy pure maltodextrin from amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MALTODEX-Maltodextrin-2-5kg-Resealable-Pouch/dp/B0065IDA8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337112071&sr=8-1
if i add say 250g to an extract kit instead of using the standard brew enhancer will this improve my head retention and mouth feel or should i just use the brew enhancer.
im thinking cost here

Malto dextrin is a non fermentable that will add body and mouth feel as well as raise your FG so the beer will be sweeter and maltier

Last edited by a moderator:
Malto dextrin is a non fermentable that will add body and mouth feel as well as raise your FG so the beer will be sweeter and maltier

Are you sure it makes it sweeter and maltier?

I've used maltodextrin in my sports drink to bump up the carbs. I don't think it changes the taste of the drink.

geeyoupee said:
Are you sure it makes it sweeter and maltier?

I've used maltodextrin in my sports drink to bump up the carbs. I don't think it changes the taste of the drink.

Yes, you can do a google search and read all about it. It is also a common addition when using honey because it reduces the effect of how honey dries and thins out the beer

It will react differently in different ways. It is used in food, sports drinks, body building etc.

i thought it would not effect taste. i see now its about 1/4 as sweet as sucrose.
thanks for the input guys.
i presume the "maltiness" will go well with the wheat beer kit.
is it's use common for extract brew's or is it a waste of time if im not doing an all grain?

i thought it would not effect taste. i see now its about 1/4 as sweet as sucrose.
thanks for the input guys.
i presume the "maltiness" will go well with the wheat beer kit.
is it's use common for extract brew's or is it a waste of time if im not doing an all grain?

I have never used this as an addition when I was doing extract and I only add it to my AG recipes where I am adding honey to add back in the body and sweetness that honey additions usually remove from a beer.

What is the extract recipe you are brewing and why are you looking to add something to it, maybe I can help you out.

i can buy pure maltodextrin from amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0065IDA8A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
if i add say 250g to an extract kit instead of using the standard brew enhancer will this improve my head retention and mouth feel or should i just use the brew enhancer.
im thinking cost here

This particular product will add body, but not much else. I have some that is similar that I have been playing around with for making bacon dust, and olive oil dust and can attest that the stuff is pretty flavorless

This is not to be confused with dextrin malt which is something else altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you actually like it first. I personally can't stand the cloyingly thick mouthfeel of maltodextrin, matter of personal taste.

i just googled carapils. sounds good. had not heard about them before. i doubt my HBS has any but ill ask.
im doing a coopers irish stout today, might even do 2. and i want more thickness to the stout. im used to Guinness brewed up the road not the crap that gets shipped to you guys and altough im not trying to replicate it the extract kits make a thin beer.
i dont think i can get pure maltodextrin but the coopers brew enhancer number 2 had a good high percentage of malto so i might try that

Back