Is it graff???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daze

Reaction score
I know that there is lots of info out there on graff and that Brandon O has a popular recipe and long thread on the subject, which I have read through. After looking at his info I decided to brew a malty cider but I did not want the extra gain flavors he added or the bitterness from the hops so I only used dark DME and apple juice along with a little malic acid. The must/wort :) tasted fantastic and think this is going to be a really good cider but I am wondering if it is still a graff since I only used DME and none of the other beer type components. I tried to find a strict definition by doing a yahoo search but the best I was able to come up with was: "Graff: A word that means an alcoholic beverage that is a cross between hard cider and beer" so is what I made graff? any further input would be fantastic.

Malted Cider...

There's a bunch of malted cider recipes out there that don't call themselves graf. So I'd say you can pretty much call it anything you want. I make up names for mine every time I make one. Bitter Apple, Steamed Apple, Malty Dog...as long as you like it you should categorize it how you like (or not at all) ;)

I personally like malted ciders. Actually more than the simple ciders that I make. It's fun to play around with different recipes and different colored DMEs etc.

I've found that I do like adding small amounts of bittering and flavoring hops...but it's all "to each his own"

Let us know how it turns out.

thanks for the input. Do you find that malt alone adds a lot of body??? I found the malted unfermented cider to be comparable to my oat cider but I don't know if the malted cider will retain its body or thin out as it ferments.

I've never made one with just DME, but I think it would. I usually do a mini-mash and it adds body for sure.

Back