3/8" adequate for HERMS coil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeRags

Reaction score
I have my 25' coil of 3/8 copper tubing which previously served as my immersion chiller. My question... is this large enough in diameter for a HERMs coil? I am building a 20 gallon AG setup. Its a 4 vessel system that will utilize a seperate tank with coil for the HERMS loop. I'd like to get away without having to purchase MORE stuff, but I'm beginning to think that this is too small in diameter.

Whadya think?

Yuri_Rage said:
That's exactly what I use in my rig. I can brew up to 20 gallon batches with it.

Thats all I needed to hear.... that'll save me $45 which will be used to procure grain for the first batch. Granted that still wont be for a while :drunk: .

Thanks

I use 3/8 and it works just fine. My buddy uses 1/2 and our times are pretty much equal. The thing to remember is 3/8 has less volume, but transfers heat quicker, while 1/2 has more volume. So what we have found is the 1/2 needs to be throttled back a little more to slow down the speed. Both work well, but as you said, another 45 bucks for 1/2.

Back