toasted 2 row subbing for MO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i'm going to make an esb to unload some challenger, but i dont have MO. i used BM's recipe as a guideline and saw that he has roughly 20% (toasted @ 350 for 10-15 min i think) toasted 2 row in his grist with the rest being 2 row. whats everyones experience with this? i dont have any MO to compare it will but i'm going give it a shot regardless.

:mug:

If you toast- make sure the grain IS NOT CRACKED already....Maris Otter and two-row are similar although it tends to have a cleaner sweet slightly nutty flavor. Your beers still gonna be damn good with just two row but slightly different. The gravity contribution of the MO is slightly higher than 2 row as well so adjust accordingly

If you toast- make sure the grain IS NOT CRACKED already....Maris Otter and two-row are similar although it tends to have a cleaner sweet slightly nutty flavor. Your beers still gonna be damn good with just two row but slightly different. The gravity contribution of the MO is slightly higher than 2 row as well so adjust accordingly

i'm one of those bulk grain horders so its certainly not crushed :) im going to toast it a few days ahead and keep it in a sealed bag-i saw someone on here doing that so i figured why not... not sure if that helps lock in the toast?

i think i'll brew it again shortly after and not toast and come back with the differences.

I'm not too sure what that does either other than preventing it from absorbing moisture and flavors....post how things go :)

You won't get the same flavor as MO with toasted malt, though it will add a nice biscuity, warm character to the beer - especially at 20% of the grist! I used to toast malt a lot and found 20 min at 350F gives a wonderful cheddar goldfish toasty/nutty quality without the cheesiness. You want to let the grain sit for about a week in a paper bag to allow some of the harsh aromatics to dissipate. I've never heard of putting toasted grain in a sealed bag... adding freshly toasted grain to a beer without aging is a good way to get off flavors.

I'm not too sure what that does either other than preventing it from absorbing moisture and flavors....post how things go :)

You won't get the same flavor as MO with toasted malt, though it will add a nice biscuity, warm character to the beer - especially at 20% of the grist! I used to toast malt a lot and found 20 min at 350F gives a wonderful cheddar goldfish toasty/nutty quality without the cheesiness. You want to let the grain sit for about a week in a paper bag to allow some of the harsh aromatics to dissipate. I've never heard of putting toasted grain in a sealed bag... adding freshly toasted grain to a beer without aging is a good way to get off flavors.

ok, that makes sense... i'll toast it tonight and brew it up next week.

i was going to add about 6-8 oz of amber malt, think thats not neccessary with the toasting of 2 row? i know it won't take the place of MO, just hoping it will help combined with a higher mash temp and a touch of c-pils to get some good backbone.

for comparison purposes maybe i'll skip the amber so i get a clearer idea of what i get from the toasting. should be fun.

Back