another ASCO valve question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IMUNS

Reaction score
So, I'm planning on using ASCO valves on my build and I've found a model that is built for regulating the flow of gas to industrial/commercial burners. All the specs look right for using low pressure propane, but I'm concerned about one thing. The min PSI rating is 0 but the max is only 5 PSI, so will this valve work? Do I need to use a valve that can withstand more pressure?
any info would help, the model is 8214G020
cheers,
ian

it should work considering some are running 10psi through 1-2psi propane selenoids from furnaces..... im not 100% sure it would work though but it should

Out of curiosity how much are the ASCO valves going to cost?, if more than $85 you would be better off with the low pressure furnace valves and pilots. If you are going high pressure route then a solenoid larger than 1/4" is a waste of money as the 1/4" model of STC brand valves will flow more than the burner can handle for less than $50 each. With high pressure you need to remember that the gas opening in the burner gas fitting is quite small, less than 1/16" typically, so large bore plumbing is not helping any.

I found one for $50 but that's before shipping. I was planning on using low pressure propane so I figured it would be best to use 1/2'' plumbing. Am I miss informed?

For a low pressure propane system 1/2" pipe is the easiest to buy and work with for gas plumbing. In low pressure applications a 3/8" valve will work, but most people buy the 1/2" valves. Take a look at STC 2W160 -1/2" valves as an alternate to the ASCO solenoid valves, better pricing for the type you would need.

Cool! Thanks for the help man, I'm definitely gonna check those out. Simplicity is what I'm going for and I was pretty overwhelmed with trying to find a honeywell valve that would work, so I thought ASCO was my only option. Stoked to hear there is something else out there
cheers

Back