Bittering Hops for IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jboggeye

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Many IIPA recipes call for an obscene amount of bittering hops. I know Russian river does this for Pliny. What is the advantage of so much bittering, if the palate can't taste more than 100 IBUs?
In other words, why would a IIPA hop bomb call for for bittering with 3 oz at 90 minutes, (for 200+ IBUs) instead of a cheaper 1oz for 120 or so IBUs?

I would love to hear what you guys have to say

you will inevitably receive something from that amount it may not be bitterness but just he presence of that many will effect the beer.

I like late hopped beer so I usually try to get 50% of the bitterness from the first addition and the rest at the end of the boil.

In the case of my last brew

2oz in the mash
2oz at 85
4oz at 15
4oz at 5
4oz at 0

going to be good :)

Hi guys,
Many IIPA recipes call for an obscene amount of bittering hops. I know Russian river does this for Pliny. What is the advantage of so much bittering, if the palate can't taste more than 100 IBUs?
In other words, why would a IIPA hop bomb call for for bittering with 3 oz at 90 minutes, (for 200+ IBUs) instead of a cheaper 1oz for 120 or so IBUs?

I would love to hear what you guys have to say

Those are estimated IBUs. Despite the high hopping rates Pliny the Elder (for example) doesn't even test over 80 IBUs in the lab. When you are trying to saturate a beer with bitterness you need to go a bit over because those formulas aren’t intended to deal with the upper tail.

Back