Conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Okay, there's another thread on here that is talking about switching out sugar for wine with honey for mead. Do these convert evenly?? If they don't can someone give me a good conversion to go by? Thanks.:ban:

Not being much for math, I usually begin with a 1 to 1 conversion, by pound. However, I don't really construct my recipes by weight, preferring to use the hydrometer to tell me where I should be in a recipe. I like to stay in the 1.090 - 1.098 range for most of my recipes.

Thanks, but i have one more question that i don't fully understand (newb). The starting gravity...i don't understand it at all. Could someone please explain that too me.

Thanks, but i have one more question that i don't fully understand (newb). The starting gravity...i don't understand it at all. Could someone please explain that too me.

"Starting Gravity" is how much sugar there is. The "Final Gravity" is how much sugar remains when fermentation stopped (answer can be .998 even). If you subtract the final from the starting, you know how much sugar was converted into alcohol, and therefore about how much alcohol is in your batch.Most wine makers call it Specific Gravity (SG) regardless of when the reading was taken, but beer makers will refer to OG (original gravity) and FG (final gravity).

To get even more basic with the gravity explanation, you need a hydrometer. They cost about $8 - $10 and you can buy a tall narrow plastic tube for a couple of bucks extra that you fill with wine or mead (or beer) and the depth that the hydrometer floats determines the gravity. After it ferments the hydrometer will float lower in the liquid and, as stated, you subtract the ending gravity from the beginning to determine alcohol content.

Do you mean the amount of convertible sugars? If so honey is not 100% fermentable as sugar can be depending on the type

Back