1.107 OG BW down to 1.024 in 72 hours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I've seen some aggressive ferments in my 3 years of brewing but damn. As with any of my strong ales, I like to pitch on the cake of a week old primary. This time it was an American Amber that was fermented on a combo of US-05 and Nottingham. I removed about half the cake to leave some extra head room in the fermenter (some of it got added into the Amber's secondary because I don't like taking all the yeast away so soon) and racked the 1.107 wort on top. The blowoff bucket was bubbling within 20 minutes and sounded like a lawnmower running an hour later.

The ferment temp was controlled at 67F the whole time.

It just about stopped after 2 days but I finally checked the gravity at 72 hours and 1.024. 11% ABV in 3 days. The blowoff bucket had a 1/2 gallon of solid trub in the bottom.

It will go in a secondary in about two weeks where I'll add some oak and wait for it to clear up for a month. From there into a keg and I'll try to forget about it for at least a year. One of my best beers ever was a BW I brewed in June08 and I only have two bottles left :-(

Sounds like hungry yeast. Question for you, do you just drop your hydrometer in to the brew bucket to test? if so, I am starting to see a benefit using a brew bucket instead of just using a glass carboy (like I do). I NEVER test my SG during the ferment, ever. I have had good success just letting 'er ferment out for 3 + weeks and bottling. Using a wine thief out of the carboy is just not worth my time, but it would be interesting to test bigger OG beers during the ferment. Maybe I should grab a brewbucket....

I've seen some aggressive ferments in my 3 years of brewing but damn. As with any of my strong ales, I like to pitch on the cake of a week old primary. This time it was an American Amber that was fermented on a combo of US-05 and Nottingham. I removed about half the cake to leave some extra head room in the fermenter (some of it got added into the Amber's secondary because I don't like taking all the yeast away so soon) and racked the 1.107 wort on top. The blowoff bucket was bubbling within 20 minutes and sounded like a lawnmower running an hour later.

It just about stopped after 2 days but I finally checked the gravity at 72 hours and 1.024. 11% ABV in 3 days. The blowoff bucket had a 1/2 gallon of solid trub in the bottom.

Nice!!!!!!! :mug:

Bobby, my 120 minute IPA did some crazy ass fermenting like that too. It was like one packet of US-05 and two packets of nottinghams for a ~1.100 malt bomb, mashed real low for max attenuation.... it went to like 1.010 or some madness! Yeah, gotta wait another few weeks for yeasty clean-up before you rack it, then another 6 months before you tap that sucker.

Sounds like hungry yeast. Question for you, do you just drop your hydrometer in to the brew bucket to test? if so, I am starting to see a benefit using a brew bucket instead of just using a glass carboy (like I do). I NEVER test my SG during the ferment, ever. I have had good success just letting 'er ferment out for 3 + weeks and bottling. Using a wine thief out of the carboy is just not worth my time, but it would be interesting to test bigger OG beers during the ferment. Maybe I should grab a brewbucket....

Besides my keg and conical, I pretty much use only buckets. They are UV light resistant, allow easier dry hopping and access (no thief required) and easier to clean.

Nope, I just use a turkey baster to pull a sample. I normally don't take SG readings mid ferment but I was a little worried I had a weird stuck ferment due to the inactivity so early.

Nope, I just use a turkey baster to pull a sample. I normally don't take SG readings mid ferment but I was a little worried I had a weird stuck ferment due to the inactivity so early.

Ahhh gotcha... I looked for one after I replied to your post, and it turns out they do not really exist around my area. I would have to mail order and pay out the ying-yang for shipping. Thanks though

I pitched a barelywine that was 1.097 on a nottingham yeast cake, it was down to 1.023 after 48 hours at 66-68 degrees. That is crazy how it can work like that!

What did you do for oxygenation? Anything special? Oxygen stone? I'm looking at brewing a 1.120 OG imperial stout in the not-too-distant future, and I was wondering about getting enough yeast activity to get that puppy fermented.

Back