Diacetyl rest for my first Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanPoch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I took the plunge and moved to all-grain and did my first lager at the same time. I know, I know, I'm changing to many things at once, but it's more fun this way.

Anyway I'm making a black lager which started at 1.063 2 weeks ago.
Last night it was 1.022. BeerSmith predicted 1.020 for a FG.

I brought this up from my basement where it had been going at about 53F and put it in a small room with a constant ambient temp of 65F.

Now for my questions.
1) am I too late for the Diacetyl rest that I've been reading about?

2) the beer is very sharp at this time. I know I've had plenty of ales that have mellowed and I'm presuming that the lager will too, right?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
:mug:

Don't feel bad... I never brewed in my life and my first beer was a 10 gallon batch of an all-grain lager of my own recipe. (Turned out alright!)

You're pretty much too late for the D-Rest, but you may have not needed it in the first place. By your description of the beer as "sharp", it doesn't sound like the description of a beer with diacetyl. Unless you had a bad diacetyl taste, I wouldn't recommend trying to do anything about diacetyl at this point.

But bringing the beer up in temp at the end can't hurt it... it may help you squeeze out a few more points of SG.

The sharpness will mellow with lagering. You should lager this beer for a good 8 weeks.

I took the plunge and moved to all-grain and did my first lager at the same time. I know, I know, I'm changing to many things at once, but it's more fun this way.

Anyway I'm making a black lager which started at 1.063 2 weeks ago.
Last night it was 1.022. BeerSmith predicted 1.020 for a FG.

I brought this up from my basement where it had been going at about 53F and put it in a small room with a constant ambient temp of 65F.

Now for my questions.
1) am I too late for the Diacetyl rest that I've been reading about?

2) the beer is very sharp at this time. I know I've had plenty of ales that have mellowed and I'm presuming that the lager will too, right?

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
:mug:

You're fine. Unless you're beer tastes like buttered popcorn you will be ok. Moving it was fine...you may get some cleanup going. Sometimes I just think the agitation of moving it helps as much as the temp change.

Patience is the key with lagers. I hated the vienna I did for about 2 months. It was watery and tasteless. Then at about 10 weeks, bam...all the flavors came out. It's still not a great lager, but pretty drinkable. Good luck.

Thanks guys :)

No buttery tastes at all. It had a hint of maltiness after the sharpness dissipated. I'm hoping that that will stand out more after two or three months of aging.

My plan is to lager it in a bucket of ice water for at least 2 months (more if changing the 1L ice bottles doesn't drive me crazy). I may end up getting a freezer chest before the end of this.

I've always used a secondary for my ales letting them sit for a month before bottling, so the extra month for a lager isn't too bad. Never had a cold enough basement before to try a lager.

Just an update here, I kegged this lager a few weeks back and tapped into it last week.

Wow, nice and smooth, with just the right amount of malt flavor and a nice creamy head.

Thanks for all the help from my HBT forum friends :rockin: My first AG was a smashing success!

Congrats! It's always nice to make good beer when you put in a lot of time and effort. Happy brewing!

For future reference, there is a trick to fixed a missed D-Rest. You can add a quart of wort with fresh pitched yeast. Once the wort/re-starter hits high krausen add it to the fermented beer. The yeast will clean up what ever is in there, principally feasting on the diacetyl.

For future reference, there is a trick to fixed a missed D-Rest. You can add a quart of wort with fresh pitched yeast. Once the wort/re-starter hits high krausen add it to the fermented beer. The yeast will clean up what ever is in there, principally feasting on the diacetyl.

Awesome. I just tried an Oktoberfest that I thought I had performed a good D-rest on at the three week mark. Now, after it's been lagering for over two months the buttered popcorn flavor is overwhelming. A few weeks ago I couldn't taste any buttered popcorn, but now it's there. I'm planning to bring this beer to a family reunion in June.

Awesome. I just tried an Oktoberfest that I thought I had performed a good D-rest on at the three week mark. Now, after it's been lagering for over two months the buttered popcorn flavor is overwhelming. A few weeks ago I couldn't taste any buttered popcorn, but now it's there. I'm planning to bring this beer to a family reunion in June.

Diacetyl can develop after the diacetyl rest, too... from infection or from oxygenation at transfer (splashing).

Okay, dumb question.... I just did my first lager, and I thought that once it was done fermenting, you brought it up to 65º, and that was how you did a d-rest. Are you supposed to bring it up before fermentation is done? How do you know when to raise the temperature?

Are you supposed to bring it up before fermentation is done? How do you know when to raise the temperature?

Yes, for a diacetyl rest, I believe you are supposed to bring it up before fermentation is done (seems strange, I know). You'll have to take gravity measurements to know when to raise the temp.

10 days ago I brewed a doppelbock with an OG of 1.080 and it is now right at about 1.040. I'm waiting for another couple of drop in gravity points and then I will start to raise the temp. I am looking for a FG between 1.020 and 1.025.

I know that a diacetyl rest is not always necessary, but I don't trust my palate so I am going to do it anyways because I don't think it can hurt.

Ah, that makes sense I guess. I'm actually brewing a 10 gallon batch of doppelbock on friday and did this Vienna lager as a test run for both a decoction and lagering.

Back