Bottle wand to sanitize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score
Does anyone ever use the bottle wand to sanitize bottles?

I wanted to fill my botting bucket with 2.5 gallon solution of starsan and fill about 12 bottles at a time then pour the starsan back into the bottling bucket and do the rest of the bottles.

Does anyone see a problem with this? Do I need to sanitize the outside too? Is dunking the bottle really necessary?

I don't see a problem at all with that method other than I think it is much easier to just submerge bottles directly into a bucket of Starsan.

Even easier to mix up a spray bottle of starsan and spray the inside of the bottles. No need to waste that much starsan.

One spray bottle full lasts me 2 or 3 batches, from brewing through bottling, sanitizing all the equipment and bottles.

The Vinator (yooper's link) is probably the best bottling aid ever invented. I don't know why they don't come standard in kits.

So I could just pour some in the bottle, swirl it around 5 seconds, empty it out and put it upside down on a rack?

The Vinator (yooper's link) is probably the best bottling aid ever invented. I don't know why they don't come standard in kits.

+1
I use it on big bottles.
For my standard beer bottles, I use the dishwasher for sanitizing. (Not cleaning)

So I could just pour some in the bottle, swirl it around 5 seconds, empty it out and put it upside down on a rack?

Yes. Your idea is actually pretty good. You would just put a little bit of starsan in the bottle, shake then dump back in the bucket. As long as the insides get wet with starsan, you are sanitized. This method will create a lot of foam. Just remember don't fear the foam!!!

When I started out, we got a used dishwasher rack (free) specifically for storing sanitized bottles on bottling day.

Sure. I love the vinator, because it's even easier and less messy.

It works great for small bottles, and even my large wine bottles (for when I bottle wine, of course).

The vinator, bottle tree and jet bottle washer are three of the best things I have added to my equipment!
Dave

Back