"Back sweetening"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
With regard to The "Should I add Potassium Sorbate" Thread below,
what is the best sweetener to use in a Spagnols white zin kit ?
No sweetener or clue was included in the instructions. My wife's batch is ready to be processed this weekend and she'd like it just a little sweeter.....
Thanks,
Joe

Back sweetening is done with plain old table sugar after the wine has been stabilized. What is the final gravity of your wine? Sweetening is usually done by gravity not by taste.

White zin is fairly sweet by design and the wine gets sweeter after it sits in the bottle a few weeks. I mention this because I made the mistake once and sweetened my wine to taste before bottling, now I refer to it as my "Kool Aid" wine. I like sweeter wine but it is ridiculously sweet.

Nurmey,
Thanks for the reply.
Th SG after 2 weeks in the fermenter is 0.970. The directions say it should be at or below 0.998 . I don't know if a higher gravity means sweeter or does a lower and how much sugar yields what gravity ... I'll take your advice and defer to your greater experience and let this batch go where it will. All things being equal, we can then decide if the next batch needs sweetening...
Joe

You could also use a wine conditioner that is sold at LHBS's all over. Thats what some of these kits actually come with as a sweetener but its m ore expensive. Its basically the same thing.

Back