Half batch from kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
I picked up an Ironmaster Porter kit the other day. I thought I remembered hearing that you needed two for a 5 gal batch, and since I had an empty 3 gal carboy it seemed an ideal opportunity to get my feet wet with a porter. Of course when I get home and read the directions I see that you're supposed to add 2# of sugar or DME to it and make a 5 gallon batch.

I thought about just doing it as a 2.5 gallon one anyways, but am concerned about it being overhopped, not to mention the OG will be a bit high. Any thoughts about whether I should try it or wait until I have a primary available?

TIA,

If you use it as-is, it would be over hopped and over "specialty grained" meaning that the chocolate malt, for example, is in the quantity for a 5gal patch. You could certainly try a 3gal batch and let us know how it turns out. Whatever it ends up as though, it won't be a true porter.

I came across a post by someone that used two cans of Ironmaster to make a 5 gallone batch so I went ahead and got it started. I boiled it with 1-1/2 gallons of water for a half hour, and then added (after cooling) enough water to bring the OG down to 1.056, which was just shy of three gallons. Its cooking right now, and I guess we'll see how it comes out....

I picked up an Ironmaster Porter kit the other day. I thought I remembered hearing that you needed two for a 5 gal batch, and since I had an empty 3 gal carboy it seemed an ideal opportunity to get my feet wet with a porter. Of course when I get home and read the directions I see that you're supposed to add 2# of sugar or DME to it and make a 5 gallon batch.

I'm reading right now Homebrewing for dummies, and this quote might interest you: "For full body and flavor, use two 3.3-pound cans to make one full batch
of beer (5 gallons)[..]" However, this is for pre-hopped malt extract, not beer kits. (lookslike there's a difference..)

Well, after two weeks (the instructions say one...), all activity seems to be stopped, and I'm at 1.024. Seems high, but I did start high too. It looks like 4.5% ABV. Do you think it's safe to assume it's done?

Yes. Extracts in 'add sugar' kits tend to have higher unfermentables. Normally, the added water and sugar would have dried it out.

That's what I suspected but thanks for the reply.

I now have it kegged and tried a sample after 24 hours and a lot of shaking. I'm actually pretty impressed!

Back