Graham's English Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cider newb here and here's my story, needed a batch of cider for my daughters graduation in May so that gives be about two months and I've done this already

Five gallon carboy
4.75 gallons of organic Apple Juice SG of 1.045
1 1/2 lbs organic cane sugar dissolved in heated cider and mixed
1 lb of honey dissolved in heated cider
4 tsp of nutrients
OG of about 1.063
1 packet of Nottingham pitched on 2/6 at 66F and fermentation started that day and the airlock was a machine gun, the aroma was better than expected
Sunday the 13th the airlock activity was next to nothing so I took a reading of 0.999 and I've parked it in a fridge to crash it at 36F
Sampling tastes pretty good but I've never drank hard cider so I've no clue if this is going to be any good for a cider drinker that like the Stella brand.
I'm going to bottle in about a week and would rather not pasteurize if I don't have to but will if needed.
Originally I was going to use about 4oz of corn sugar for priming but after reading this thread I'm considering using a can of concentrate for additional apple flavor but I don't want it to get to sweet
I'm probably going to pasteurize as it'll not be kept chilled.

Thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
Hi,

while in the secondary, do you control the temperature?

thanks for the recipe btw.

i know im late to this party but this recipe is kicking.

i needed a cider recipe and i think i saw this as a sticky. i wanted something less dry than apfelwein and put it on 4 weeks ago. 2 gallons motts juice of half a lime 2 decaf teabags in a cup of water. tsp yeast nutrient and s05
kegged and cold its really smooth. reminds me a lot of austin eastciders
its beyond drinkable and perfectly dry. a half a cap of grenadine and the missus loves it.

this will be a regular in the lineup.

Back