All my beers are too thick & rich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I did the Newcastle recipe that Yooper suggested to me... all went without a hitch the instructions were perfect. It's all in the fermenter... I warmed up the yeast. I cooled the wort in a cold water sink with ice... I followed the instructions to a tee. About 3 hours worth of work if you count the cleaning and sanitizing. My hydrometer readings were 1.040 - 5.3% - 40brix whatever that may mean (Im still learning)... the brew smelled nice.

Thanks Yooper.

OK I did the Newcastle recipe that Yooper suggested to me... all went without a hitch the instructions were perfect. It's all in the fermenter... I warmed up the yeast. I cooled the wort in a cold water sink with ice... I followed the instructions to a tee. About 3 hours worth of work if you count the cleaning and sanitizing. My hydrometer readings were 1.040 - 5.3% - 40brix whatever that may mean (Im still learning)... the brew smelled nice.

Thanks Yooper.

Great! Keep it cool (try for 65 degrees or so), and then bottle it in a couple of weeks. I'm a little concerned about what you mean by "warmed up the yeast", though!

I put the yeast in 4 oz lukewarm water like it said on packet????? 15 minutes before intro to wort????? It was magical! (really started off foaming)

Temp in bucket is 66 degrees. its pretty cool in my basement now that summer is over.

Is getting the yeast hydrated a waste of time? I wonder. In the past I have just tossed it in dry. This time i stirred in the foamy 4 oz of hydrated yeast. Hope I did right.

I did not aerate the wort too vigorously because the directions did not say to.... I did stir very well though.

There is still time to shake it up a lot if you think I should???

I put the yeast in 4 oz lukewarm water like it said on packet????? 15 minutes before intro to wort????? It was magical! (really started off foaming)

Temp in bucket is 66 degrees. its pretty cool in my basement now that summer is over.

Is getting the yeast hydrated a waste of time? I wonder. In the past I have just tossed it in dry. This time i stirred in the foamy 4 oz of hydrated yeast. Hope I did right.

I did not aerate the wort too vigorously because the directions did not say to.... I did stir very well though.

There is still time to shake it up a lot if you think I should???

It's good. Keep it at 65 degrees or lower, and let it sit for 10 days.

Haha the thread title may be a bit misleading... I did not mention it was thick, rich, and tasted like crap.

Well last night my kids felt a little "Chilly" so they turned the baseboard heater on downstairs and forgot to turn it off...
Making the room and my wort 74 degrees. probably for about 8 hours straight... Im cooling it down now. Hopefully no real damage done.
65 is a hard temp to maintain in my house.

Haha the thread title may be a bit misleading... I did not mention it was thick, rich, and tasted like crap.

Well last night my kids felt a little "Chilly" so they turned the baseboard heater on downstairs and forgot to turn it off...
Making the room and my wort 74 degrees. probably for about 8 hours straight... Im cooling it down now. Hopefully no real damage done.
65 is a hard temp to maintain in my house.

Well, what's done is done. But I didn't mean 65 for a room temperature, I meant 65 for fermentation temperature. Often, fermentation produces heat and so the fermenting beer is typically 5-10 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.

It might help keep the temperature more constant if you put the fermenter in a water bath, that way room temperature changes wouldn't really change the temperature of the beer too much, as it would take a long long time for 5 gallons of beer, plus 5 gallons of water surrounding it, to change temperature.

Well, what's done is done. But I didn't mean 65 for a room temperature, I meant 65 for fermentation temperature. Often, fermentation produces heat and so the fermenting beer is typically 5-10 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature.

It might help keep the temperature more constant if you put the fermenter in a water bath, that way room temperature changes wouldn't really change the temperature of the beer too much, as it would take a long long time for 5 gallons of beer, plus 5 gallons of water surrounding it, to change temperature.

Understood about frementation temp... I put it in a large tub of cold water and its dropping now. Scolded the kids. lol. Thermometer on bucket is now 68. All is well and Im going to leave it in cool water tub.

quickly and cleanly extracted a sip... Malty... seems like it needs more hops. Can I add hops this late in the game?

ehh,samples are pretty vague as far as outcome.Let it be,but I personally dont see what more hops can hurt.It will just be aroma though which will fade with time. It wont balance your maltiness really,your bitter is done and done with the boil.Shure you can mask some stuff with hops until it fades quickly. Although youd be surprised how they dry up and become differnet with bottle conditioning.

jonmohno said:
ehh,samples are pretty vague as far as outcome.Let it be,but I personally dont see what more hops can hurt.It will just be aroma though which will fade with time. It wont balance your maltiness really,your bitter is done and done with the boil.Shure you can mask some stuff with hops until it fades quickly. Although youd be surprised how they dry up and become differnet with bottle conditioning.

I'll leave it be. Probably should not have tasted. Lol. A few more days and then to bottle.

Day 10 on the Newcastle tastealike... 1.005 or 6 hydrometer will check again tomorrow.

Took a bigger taste sample... Yeah Its GOOOD.

No seeming infections or cider taste. Nice.

1.040 to 1.005 = 4.59 ABV

Hey Yooper do you have a simple tastealike recipe for Fosters ale? Thanks for your help.

Hydrometer practically bottomed out.... checked twice to make sure.... Bottled it into 2 cases of 22 oz bottles with 2 sugar balls per bottle. Im going to wait at least 2 weeks before refrigerating a few. My basement is getting cold... should I condition these upstairs in 55 - 75 degrees or downstairs in 35-55 degrees.

Upstairs ~70F is best for conditioning. After 2-3 weeks you can store them downstairs for as long as they last!

Ok,I can't stands it no more. Wgy is thick & rich beer a problem? Some might be jelous since theres are thin and watery. It's a good thing,if balanced,& no I didn't read through....

Back