ANOTHER keg issue.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
Okay so I'm on my second kegged batch, and everytime I connect the beer out disconnect to the OUT post on the keg, it is an absolute b!tch to get off. It doesn't seem to push down all the way either. My guess is that the smart guy that I bought these kegs from has two gas posts installed. Does this sound about right?

If so, now that there is already beer in the keg, what are my options? It's truly a four letter word fest trying to get the disconnect off...

Make sure the black one goes to the "OUT" connector, and the gray one goes to the "IN" connector. Sorry if this you already know this, but when I got my kegging system I had no instructions and had to learn it the hard way. If you're putting the right connectors on the posts, it could in fact be that they attached to "gas" posts to both sides. Usually, the nut on the gas posts have little notches in them, whereas the liquid posts are normal nuts. Other styles have the gas posts with 12-point heads, and the liquid is a 6-point.

yup, if both posts look the same then you have two gas posts...or your supplier gave you two gas couplings.

If the keg is at pressure or slightly low on CO2 it wouldn't hurt a lot to try and put the CO2 connector on the out as well. It might re-suspend any yeast you have on the bottom, but that's it. (If your keg is at higher pressure than the gas line then it can flow beer back into the regulator which is a bad thing)

yup, if both posts look the same then you have two gas posts...or your supplier gave you two gas couplings.

If the keg is at pressure or slightly low on CO2 it wouldn't hurt a lot to try and put the CO2 connector on the out as well. It might re-suspend any yeast you have on the bottom, but that's it. (If your keg is at higher pressure than the gas line then it can flow beer back into the regulator which is a bad thing)

It's already fully carbed, so I don't think this would be a great idea, haha.

I've dry-hopped an already carbed beer in the past. Just use the pressure relief valve to let the head pressure out (slowly). Then quickly switch the posts out. Then purge it a couple times and re-apply head pressure. If you do it fast you should be OK.

Homebrewing, kegging, and fast don't really go in the same sentence with me... I'll do my best. I still have to figure out if it's truly a gas post on the beer out side. Is there a cosmetic difference I could look for?

The gas posts usually have an line etched to the post. These are gas posts:

keg-posts.jpg

Homebrewing, kegging, and fast don't really go in the same sentence with me... I'll do my best. I still have to figure out if it's truly a gas post on the beer out side. Is there a cosmetic difference I could look for?

Yeah, that's what TWOHEADS was talking about. For mine, the part that actually screws into the keg is either a 6 point or a 12 point, 6 point for beer out and 12 point for gas. As far as hooking your CO2 up to the out, I did it by accident just last night (tired and not paying attention) and it doesn't hurt anything. Like I said, the issue would be if the keg is at 15 psi and the CO2 is at say 10. That will force beer up the CO2 line if you don't have check valves.

And the whole purpose of putting the CO2 line on the beer out is the test to see if it's a gas post, right?

yeah - like I said, its up to you if you want to try it, but that's one way to check it...before you do though, are you sure your kegerator has proper CO2 in and beer out connectors?

I guess if the keg posts are different and appear to be correct then I would put the beer out line on the CO2 in and see if it fits. If it does then you have found out that the kegerator is the problem

The gas posts have a smaller "lip", as compared to the liquid posts.

From the pic above, it looks like the center one is actually a liquid post.

Use water and clean your posts and your ball valves. They do get sticky over time. I have a few that are tough to get on and off, just means a good seal ... i guess.

They're referring to the groove cut into the points on the hex nut. All three of those pictured are gas in posts.

I also have a post on one of my kegs that is an absolute PITA to get connected to. If you check and they are the proper posts and connectors, try using a little extra keg lube.

They're referring to the groove cut into the points on the hex nut. All three of those pictured are gas in posts.

I also have a post on one of my kegs that is an absolute PITA to get connected to. If you check and they are the proper posts and connectors, try using a little extra keg lube.

I assume you checked and made sure that the post is not dinged up or has any burrs or rough places. These kegs were definitely not handled with kid gloves in their past lives and may have some problems.

Back