i have a freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i have an upright freezer.a sears coldspot.i want to make this into a kreezer.

before i start looking for parts/kegs i guess i should first worry about temp control.

off hand i didnt notice a thermastat dial in there. any advice or suggestions.

I have the Ranco digital controller and I couldn't be happier. IT works great. From what I have read you will be happy with either the Ranco or the Johnson controller. If you search the forum for temperature control you will find lots of information.

Buy the Ranco ETC single stage digital controller and a 6ft 14ga. extension cord and modifiy it so you just plug the freezer into the extension cord, extension cord is wired into the controller and then you just plug in the extension cord to your outlet.

Since you have an upright, you can just go right through the door for your faucets. Rapids Wholesale has the best prices for shanks and faucets I've found.

Does your upright freezer not have the coils in the shelves like most of them? I looked at uprights, and they all had shelf coils. That would make it difficult at the least to put kegs in.

tentacles said:
Does your upright freezer not have the coils in the shelves like most of them? I looked at uprights, and they all had shelf coils. That would make it difficult at the least to put kegs in.

Not all of them do, I've seen several on craigslist that don't have the cooling coils in the shelves (right below) and my in-laws have one that doesn't have the cooling coils in the shelves. Basically, if the shelves are removable, then you're fine. If not, it's not worth anything as a kegerator, since there isn't enough room for kegs.

tentacles said:

Mine has wire shelves no coils There is a fan that circulates the air over an evaporator.

Back