Here goes1st time brett user

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
I am putting my old mr beer kit to good use, doing a 100% Brett fermentation just need a few suggestions:
2 gallon batch
2 lbs light dme
1/4 oz cascade 60 minutes (had some left over from previous batch)
5 oz table sugar
Alp 645 Brett c.
And suggestions since this is the first time using brett?

Couple of things:

1) If the Brett C. is going to be your only yeast, you need to make a big starter. A 5 gallon batch needs a 4L (lager sized) starter if it's a 100% Brett fermentation.

2) Every time I've used WLP645 the beer eventually sours. I make a house saison that I pitch a vial of 645 into. 90 days in primary and about 30-45 days in the bottle and that beer takes on a distinct tartness. It gets stronger and stronger as time goes on. Just keep that in mind.

3) No steeping grains?

Couple of things:

1) If the Brett C. is going to be your only yeast, you need to make a big starter. A 5 gallon batch needs a 4L (lager sized) starter if it's a 100% Brett fermentation.

2) Every time I've used WLP645 the beer eventually sours. I make a house saison that I pitch a vial of 645 into. 90 days in primary and about 30-45 days in the bottle and that beer takes on a distinct tartness. It gets stronger and stronger as time goes on. Just keep that in mind.

3) No steeping grains?

thanks for the feedback, sinc eits only a 2 gallon batch i will do a smaller starter probably 2 cups water and 1/2 cup dme

and i was going to skip the steeping grains and try to keep it as simple as possible

brett C has always been quite belgiany to me so the simplistic recipe should work fine. just treat it like a normal sacch beer just with a lager-ish pitch rate. should be done in 2-5 weeks

i've seen others also say they've gotten sourness from brett C, but i've never had that happen, so YMMV. the brett on its own won't do that unless it gets tons of oxygen and makes a lil bit of acetic acid

Back