Edworts Apelwein, has anyone tried adding fruit or berries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candlejack

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone has tried adding fruits such as strawberries, cherries, blueberries etc to edwort's apfelwein recipe?

If I was to try it, do you think I should add fruit to the primary or secondary? or both?

I was just curious if anyone has tried adding fruits such as strawberries, cherries, blueberries etc to edwort's apfelwein recipe?

If I was to try it, do you think I should add fruit to the primary or secondary? or both?

I have only put in finely grated ginger root, finely grated lemon peel from half a lemon (just the yellow outer skin with almost no white) and the strained juice from two medium lemons. I also threw in a cinnamon stick and about 10 cloves. I loved it right until it turned into vinegar on the 7th day but there wasn't much left at that point anyway.

Oh, I used Lalvin 71B-1122 and added two frozen apple concentrates to the mix. I am going to make this one again in a few weeks once I get 5 gallons of unpasteurized apple cider.

I racked at 4 weeks because that is what it seems people do when they put fruit in the primary

I'm planning to backsweeten mine with apple juice concentrate. Somebody on here did it with apple-cherry/apple-raspberry concentrate and I thought that might be even better, so I might try that.

Back