DAD's Birthday Want To Get Him A Starter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nierema

Reaction score
I know nothing about brewing beer but my dad has been talking about it for some time. I want to get him a starter kit for his birthday since he will buy nothing for himself. Just want to make sure he gets something good and something he will be happy with. Only issue is on a collage budget. Looking around a 150-200 shipped. Hope to get it picked out tomorrow. So i can get it ordered. Thanks for any help guys.

I ordered mine from northern brewer. They are great and have cheap shipping. I got the deluxe kit. My dad and I have bonded over my brewing. It's great!

honestly any of the starter kits in your price range from Midwest, NB, Williams, Austin homebrew will be ideal. $200 shipped will get you into the better/intermediate kits and they are all good.

midwests "everything" starter kit will definatly be less than $200 shipped
midwests "everything and a carboy" starter kit will probably be $200 shipped depending on what part of the country your in.

If neither of you have ever brewed Mr Beer is really not a bad way to start. I would just add a pound or 2 of dme and drop the booster also get some us-05 yeast and pitch the pack it comes with. It makes for an easy first brew and later the cool little keg fermentor is great for small batch brews. A lot of "serious" homebrewers will slam on Mr Beer, but it is a nice easy way to start and decide if you like brewing beer.

I started with "The Beer Machine", also a nice way to start. Another place to order starter kits from is Keystonehomebrew.com. It's my local homebrew store and they have decent prices/selection. I think my starter kit cost me $70. It gave me enough to get going and I added to it over a few months afterwards when I realized this was what I wanted to do.

Being a dad with a son who is a bit older than you (I think) and having gotten into brewing after watching him, my suggestion would be to get a basic equipment kit from (insert favorite online or local brew store) plus a kettle and 2 cases of bottles. Add to that an ingredient kit and a year subscription to HomeBrewTalk so he can get started right away and have a place to ask questions and get answers. If he enjoys the brewing, he will know what he wants to add and will either purchase it himself or hint for birthday or Christmas presents. BTW, you don't have to wait until the exact day to give these presents if the want is there and the timing doesn't work out.

Worst case is he hates the brewing, hates the brew produced and hates the child who got him into this. Then you apologize, take the equipment and start brewing on your own.

Best case is he loves brewing and spends your inheritance on equipment and beer. Hope the latter is what happens (with some modification, of course). :mug:

My 2 cents;

http://www.makebeer.net/Coopers-DIY-Beer-Kit

Great starter kit has everything needed to turn out 6 gallons of beer. If he gets bitten by the brewer bug he can add an extra bucket and a large brewing kettle to get into more complex brewing.

My advice would be to order a package of Brew Enhancer #2 along with the initial kit as well as a can of his favorite style of beer eg. bitter, porter, stout etc...

Total would be well within your budget and a good start for him.

OMO

bosco

Back