8oz Coke bottles for testers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skagdog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bottle primarily in 16oz euro bottles so if I open one at three weeks and it's not quite ready I have to drink 16 oz of almost ready beer.

My daughter had a sleepover and my wife bought a sixer of glass 8oz Coke bottles.

I just bottled a couple of those with my Irish Red so I can pop a top on that to test my brew.

This is just an idea (I'm sure others have done it) that will help me determine the status of my brew while not having to open a whole beer.

Happy Brewing.

I've started filling at least one 12 oz PET bottle so I can give them a squeeze to see how they are carbing up.

spokaniac said:
I've started filling at least one 12 oz PET bottle so I can give them a squeeze to see how they are carbing up.

Sweet, I like that idea, too. Do you use a thoroughly cleaned coke bottle or something else?

If I bottle, I like to throw a couple 12oz in there so I can check on them. 8oz sounds like a better idea. Personally I kind of like tasting young beer so I get a taste for it, but don't want to waste beer either.

Since the coke bottles are clear, keep them sheltered from the light. Although it probably doesn't matter to much since they are the first to go.

Terrapinchef on here scored cases of them from the resteraunt he worked at, and he used them for his barleywine. Pretty awesome actually. He built small wooden crates to store them in. Compete with straw.

Sweet, I like that idea, too. Do you use a thoroughly cleaned coke bottle or something else?

I use the PET A&W bottles. It took a bleach Wasko and oxy soak to get the root beer smell out, but did make sure they were clean.

Back