Which refractometer should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

losman26

Reaction score
I don't have a refractometer with ATC. While I'm sure it is a nice feature mine is old and I don't see replacing it in the near future, What I don't see a need for is a scale that measures in SG. Except for pre boil and post boil readings. I use the Brix and use software to convert the reading.

The dual scale models are incorrect for the SG readings. It's a well known problem. I'm not sure if MoreBeer has fixed theirs, but do some searching on the topic and you'll see it's a widespread problem. So unless MoreBeer has fixed it (I'd call) you're going to need to do the conversion. That being said I got an eBay dual scale model apparently shipped directly from somewhere in the far east and it works great.

The dual scale models are incorrect for the SG readings. It's a well known problem. I'm not sure if MoreBeer has fixed theirs, but do some searching on the topic and you'll see it's a widespread problem. So unless MoreBeer has fixed it (I'd call) you're going to need to do the conversion. That being said I got an eBay dual scale model apparently shipped directly from somewhere in the far east and it works great.

I decided to go with the dual scale one from Honk Kong, figuring that I will need to use some software to do the conversion. How do you do the conversion?

I use BeerSmith however you can find the equation or reference tables pretty easily online. Just search for "convert brix to specific gravity".

Based on the picture in the eBay posting, it appears to be the flawed calculation version. 24 brix is close to 1.10 but their image has it up at 25+ brix.

Not that eBay pictures are necessarily accurate, just an FYI...

Based on the picture in the eBay posting, it appears to be the flawed calculation version. 24 brix is close to 1.10 but their image has it up at 25+ brix.

Not that eBay pictures are necessarily accurate, just an FYI...
Damn that sucks. maybe I should cancel it. Hopefully the brix scale is accurate

I can't cancel it, the order already went through. I will test it. I have 14 days to try it out.

Damn that sucks. maybe I should cancel it. Hopefully the brix scale is accurate

I wouldn't stress about it too much. The brix side is probably fine and the calculations are more accurate at lower numbers. The higher you go, the more the difference will vary.

Just make sure you calibrate it when you first get it.

So as long as I have the OG in brix, there's no need for a hydrometer? Granted, I'm gonna use one in the beginning to test it for accuracy.

No not all refractometers have ATC. It depends on the mass of the prism. I know its low tech, but one with a much larger window will have ATC due to the mass cooling of the sample added.

Refracts use the refraction of the light through a known substance, and scale accordingly. That is if there is a linear equation to base it off of. If, as we use them, one would want a dual purpose unit, the scales cannot match up due to the addition of alcohol.

If you had one refractometer for brix and another for alcohol, you would be okay. Whereas a hydrometer just has a weight and floats due to the buoyency of the water.

So as long as I have the OG in brix, there's no need for a hydrometer? Granted, I'm gonna use one in the beginning to test it for accuracy.

Well you still need a hydrometer post fermentation unless you want to use additional approximation tables. I have a refractometer but my hydrometer still gets its fair share of use.

Well you still need a hydrometer post fermentation unless you want to use additional approximation tables. I have a refractometer but my hydrometer still gets its fair share of use.

Well, pluging the data with the software, is there a need for a hydrometer?

Well, pluging the data with the software, is there a need for a hydrometer?

I still use my hydrometer for OG and FG measurement. For me I still don't fully trust my refractometer. Mainly I use mine for pre-boil measurements. I am slowly trusting it more though, my last brew the hydrometer and refractometer were within .002 of each other.

-Jason

i've only used mine a couple times, though each time so far i've used both a hydrometer and my refract just to see how they compare.. i've found that as long as i input the numbers correctly into beersmith they were both basically spot on.. i think my next batch i'll trust the refract and see how the brewday goes

I only ever use a refractometer now. Works great. The few times I have tested with a hydrometer its been spot on. Its way easier to use a refractometer too.

mmonacel said:

Hrm, I looked around and I didn't see anything obvious... Can you point me to the issue with dual scale refractometers?

I don't know who's units were putting 20 brix at the 1.080 mark like Morebeer's site says but the ones I sell are 20brix = 1.084. I think this is a case of the chicken processors claiming "no hormones used".

I don't know who's units were putting 20 brix at the 1.080 mark like Morebeer's site says but the ones I sell are 20brix = 1.084. I think this is a case of the chicken processors claiming "no hormones used".

Now that you mention that; I had to look at mine.

And it seems to show 20 brix at something less than 1.084 ... that's really blowing my mind. In fact, the scale looks like this:

http://www.agriculturesolutions.com...r-And-Wine-Refractometer-S.G-/-0-32-Brix.html

I know mine is incorrect but I just use an app on my phone or BeerSmith to do the conversion quickly for me. The convenience of using a refractometer is just too good to go back to my hydro. BS will also do fermented calcs as well if given the OG which is great. For me the extra $40 isn't worth it, as there's too many other gadgets I want that I can apply that extra $$ to. Although a correct one would be nice to have.

This is the image that was in the auction link from the original post.

It seems to have 20 brix around 1.078

brix.jpg

This is the image that was in the auction link from the original post. It seems to have 20 brix around 1.078

Looks exactly like mine - which is why I only use the Brix scale and let BS2 tell me what the corresponding SG is.

Apparently I got a left-over this Christmas...

Cheers!

Basically brix is "26%" of SG, just multiply your brix reading by 4 and add it to 1.0x to get the correct number...perfect?... no, but the software available is so easy that if you want something exact, you can get it

Basically brix is "26%" of SG, just multiply your brix reading by 4 and add it to 1.0x to get the correct number...perfect?... no, but the software available is so easy that if you want something exact, you can get it

I have a freind that taught me that formula, works everytime.

So far I have been happy with my Hannah Instruments refractometer. It was a bit more than the other type but enjoy the lab style of it.

Just reads brix and temp, I callibrate it with distilled water each use.

Not sure why it displays the temp because none of the formulas I use seem to need it. It is ATC up to 140f I think.

I ran across this interesting bit in the wikipedia article on Brix:

"Many refractometers have built in "Automatic Temperature Compensation" (ATC) which is based on knowledge of the way the refractive index of sucrose changes. For example, the refractive index of a sucrose solution of strength less than 10 °Bx is such that a 1 °C change in temperature would cause the Brix reading to shift by about 0.06 °Bx. Beer, conversely, exhibits a change with temperature about three times this much. It is important, therefore, that users of refractometers either make sure the sample and prism of the instrument are both at very close to 20 °C or, if that is difficult to insure, readings should be taken at 2 temperatures separated by a few degrees, the change per degree noted and the final recorded value referenced to 20°C using the Bx vs. Temp slope information."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brix

I was really interested in the sentence about Beer's refractive index is 3 times higher than suchrose; I'm wondering if they're talking wort here? That seems to point to needing the temperature and the Brix. Anyone do this or just assume that if they have ATC there's no need?

So far I have been happy with my Hannah Instruments refractometer. It was a bit more than the other type but enjoy the lab style of it.

Not sure why it displays the temp because none of the formulas I use seem to need it. It is ATC up to 140f I think.

Bid daddy warbucks.. LOL

I also have one of those, and it's GREAT. :ban::rockin:

Got mine from Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back