Lets talk about lemongrass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
I think it could be used in many beer styles. I love the flavor, anyone else ever try it and how would you use it?

Dan

Never used it personally, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. :D

No really though, I listened to a podcast about New Belgium brewery and the guy said they used Kaffir Lime leaves which are in the same realm of flavor. The one comment that stuck with me is its one dimensionality. I would imagine using it in something like an APA might be nice, esp. if you use the citrusy hops (Simcoe, Amarillo, etc). That would be one route. Another cool idea would to blend it in a dark beer, something like a Shwartzbier with the addition of ginger.

Yeah I was thinking of a Hefe or a Belgian wit...didn't even cross my mind to use it with a darker beer, but what you describe definitely sounds good to me..

Dan

Never used it either, but interested to hear the result of your experiment.

If it were me, I'd try brewing an American wheat/hefe w/ Cascade hops for bittering and some aroma, US-56 ale yeast, and some lemongrass... See what happens. In a beer that simple it should be able to demonstrate what exactly the lemongrass does for beer. Then, with that knowledge, you can move on from there...

SilkkyBrew said:
Never used it either, but interested to hear the result of your experiment.

If it were me, I'd try brewing an American wheat/hefe w/ Cascade hops for bittering and some aroma, US-56 ale yeast, and some lemongrass... See what happens. In a beer that simple it should be able to demonstrate what exactly the lemongrass does for beer. Then, with that knowledge, you can move on from there...
That sounds good to me. I need some summer beers anyway:D

Now what would be the best way to add it in? During the boil, or dryhop it?
Dan

Willsellout said:
That sounds good to me. I need some summer beers anyway:D

Now what would be the best way to add it in? During the boil, or dryhop it?
Dan

Got me on this one? Maybe add some 10 mins before end of boil and then dryhop with some also. Or try one this time and the other method next to see the different effects each approach may have...

You could split a 5g batch into 2 and try each?

Has anyone thought of adding rosemary to beer? Or is there a recipe for this kind? I've heard of spruce beer. Rosemary kinda has that flavor.

FNnewguy said:
Has anyone thought of adding rosemary to beer? Or is there a recipe for this kind? I've heard of spruce beer. Rosemary kinda has that flavor.

I made a rosemary ale once. I used too much. It was very overpowering, but I'd like to try it again. I don't know how much, I just cut a branch off, and put it in at flame out, then another Dry "hopped".

If you do it you might make sure you have a solid malty base.
:mug:

How big of a branch? 3-4 inches? I was wondering if maybe placing about 2-3 tablespoons of leaves into the last 10 min of boil and steep for about 10 min after. Sounds okay to me just wondering how much and hoping that it wouldn't be too overpowering. I have a spruce beer recipe and all you have to do is replace the spruce with rosemary.

You can always add more later on, but if you throw in too much the beer might turn out bad. I would start out with just a little.

I think willsellout is right, don't put in too much at first.

You know what is interesting to me, is herbs are just like hops, in that if you boil them longer than 10 or 15 min. they get bitter. So you could have layers of rosemary. A little first wort hopping with rosemary? What a great beer with lamb, or a winter warmer style.

I am thinking it was 6 or 7 inches long dry, and a bit smaller in the hot wort, but I didn't write anything down. That was a "use up what I've got" brew.

BTW in my opinion, don't use dried rosemary from the store. If you cannot get fresh, I'll mail you some. PM me.

I wish I had a small carboy to try something.

I love lemongrass.
☺

I use lemon grass and lemon zest on one of my wheat recipes. I make my Psycho Hefe, using midwest wheat malt, pilsner malt, flaked wheat, all Hallertau hops, and WLP300. For 5 gallons, I add 1 teaspoon of lemon zest and approximately 3 shoots (3" long) of lemon grass, peeled apart and separated, and added them to my primary. What I come out with is a very citrusy, tangy wheat, but it still keeps the banana/clove flavor from the WLP300. It is best drank young, as the flavors seem strongest together that way, and the banana/clove takes over if left too long. You also can add it to the end of the boil as well for a more stronger character.

The best lemon grass is bought freshly picked, and bundled together like scallions or leeks, and you want to use the part closest to the roots. But unfortunately, the best lemon grass comes from Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Phillipines etc..., and I can never get fresh around my area.

If you use bottled spice lemon grass, which is dried, you can be agressive with it, but if you get luckly enough to get fresh, use it sparingly until you find your taste for it. It definately is something to try. I would suggest a standard American wheat, using like a WLP320, and experimenting until you get the taste you want.

Cool, thanks for your input. I think when I throw together my wit or hefe I will toss a shoot in and see how it goes..I just really love thai food and lemon grass is just so fresh and flavorful I figured it be a killer addition.

As far as Rosemary, I agree fresh is the way to go! In fact I don't even use dried herbs in my cooking; fresh or nothing!

Dan

Sean, Thanks for the info. I'm not looking for any rosemary at this time. But I do plan on growing some soon. As for how much to put in a batch of beer I really don't know. Just trying to get an idea if somone has made a batch or has a recipe that was made with rosemary. Yes, I think that fresh is the way to go.

FNnewguy said:
How big of a branch? 3-4 inches? I was wondering if maybe placing about 2-3 tablespoons of leaves into the last 10 min of boil and steep for about 10 min after. Sounds okay to me just wondering how much and hoping that it wouldn't be too overpowering. I have a spruce beer recipe and all you have to do is replace the spruce with rosemary.

I would suggest if you dabble in additions such as these, the only real way to reach consistency is to use a digital kitchen scale with at least 1 gram resolution. Fractional grams would be better, and anything that is under 1 gram you should try to do a volumetric measurement. You'll already be contending with differences in the potency of the addition and having a standard to gauge amounts is critical!

If you think about it, with Rosemary for instance, one 3" branch from one plant could possibly weigh up to twice a 3" branch from another. Plus start small. If you don't add enough you just end up not reaching the desired effect, but if you add too much it goes down the drain. I personally vote for the former :D.

Back