Best way to aerate wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
I have seen the stones used to aerate wort and folks seem to be happy with. Them. What about th at paddle with the collapsable tip that plugs into a drill? Is that product not as good for some reason? I have not seen it mentioned as much.

I've seen someone use that drill mounted one before. Home Brewer TV maybe? I just pour the wort/top off water into the fermenter as aggressively as possible to aerate it. Then stir aggressively as well before taking an OG sample/pitching. Works pretty good so far.

I have been pouring the wort from my Kettle to the Bottling Bucket. I put the Fermenter underneath it (off of a counter). Opening the spigot FULLY aerates on the way in...

KillJoy

Home depot paint mixer attached to a drill $5. 5 min.easy.works great.

I pour through a strainer set in a funnel. In one step I strain some break material, cool the wort an additional ten degrees or so, and aerate the wort. I use glass carboys for primary fermentation so the wort free falls all the way from the neck. I also add a ten second blast of pure O2 just for kicks if I have a full O2 bottle laying around.

Oxygen gas cannister pushing through a stone. It's easy though the cheap regulators seem to be getting harder to find.

When I'm draining my boil kettle into the glass carboy, I use a large plastic funnel with a fine strainer built in. This removes the hops as well as aerates the wort. That's all I do and I've never had any issues.

TravisT said:
I'm a shaker, its a pretty good workout

+1. I'm always sore the next day after a good 10 minute shake fest. Good forearm workout. haHA! BA-ZING! But seriously, shaking the hell out of my carboy for 10 minutes or so hasn't failed me yet.

bdeck02 said:
+1. I'm always sore the next day after a good 10 minute shake fest. Good forearm workout. haHA! BA-ZING! But seriously, shaking the hell out of my carboy for 10 minutes or so hasn't failed me yet.

Damn. SWMBO just read my post and wasn't too impressed. Said I need a good tongue workout instead... Whatever that means.

I use my immersion chiller while its cooling (once it gets down to under 90*), but its 50ft long and get the outlet move it up and down, 12 coils going up and down makes a hell of bubbles quick.

bdeck02 said:

Haha. Different strokes for different folks. I like to strain mine through the strainer in the Carboy and then place the Carboy on my wifes Bosu ball, lol. It works pretty good, just flip it upside down with the round part on the ground and flat side up. This let's me rock the Carboy easy without sloshing it out the opening since I don't have a stopper without a hole in it.

Do you guys do anything different for the yeast or to some degree do the same thing just a little scaled back?

lbaker said:
Haha. Different strokes for different folks. I like to strain mine through the strainer in the Carboy and then place the Carboy on my wifes Bosu ball, lol. It works pretty good, just flip it upside down with the round part on the ground and flat side up. This let's me rock the Carboy easy without sloshing it out the opening since I don't have a stopper without a hole in it.

Do you guys do anything different for the yeast or to some degree do the same thing just a little scaled back?

Well, I normally just pitch dry yeast and aerate post pitching. I use mr malty to tell me how many grams of yeast to pitch.

I use a siphon sprayer at the end of my hose (off of the kettle valve). It gives a nice spray. Once all of the wort is in the carboy, I'll shake for a few minutes, pitch yeast and shake again.

bthomas9 said:
I use a siphon sprayer at the end of my hose (off of the kettle valve). It gives a nice spray. Once all of the wort is in the carboy, I'll shake for a few minutes, pitch yeast and shake again.

I use that thing for lower grav beers. I siphon from the kettle into the better bottle but I run the end of the siphon tube through a drilled stopper and then put the sprayer on the end. I use the drilled stopper because it holds the sprayer just below the neck of the better bottle.

Back