American IPA Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am easing my wife into the world of hoppy beers and can sometimes entice her with some fruity beers. Has anyone tried racking this over some fresh strawberries? I am thinking the citra and strawberries would blend well and want to try it with half the batch. Let me know if anyone has some thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I made this IPA and it turned out beautifully. I have a lot of friends who don't like IPAs but loved this one.

I would to make this recipe, but am not set up for all grain.
How can I do as an extract?

I'm going to use 1 lb of honey malt for the five gal. After splitting (2.5/2.5) I'll add 1/2 lb of actually honey when I rack to secondary.

Primary: None
Secondary: None
Bottled: Maple Bacon Smoked Red Ale
On Deck: maybe a good IPA...?

What's the recipe for the maple bacon smoked red ale? That sounds amazing!!![emoji200][emoji482]

Grains
11.25 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.75 lb Caramunich Malt
0.50 lb Honey Malt

Hops
0.75 oz Citra [14.00 %] 60
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 10
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 5
1.00 oz Citra [14.00 %] 1
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] Dry
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet 10

1 Pkgs Safale American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)

Single Infusion Mash: 154 for 60min

Added 2oz of whole leaf Simcoe into secondary for 14 days, then Kegged.

I'll post a picture soon.

I would to make this recipe, but am not set up for all grain.
How can I do as an extract?

I'm at work so I can't give you exact substitutions but sub pale ale malt out for DME and then just steep the caramunich and honey malt.

I made this recipe and it came out really great, I think I will use it as a base for some other beers, using the same grain bill and hop schedule, but substituting the hops.

Actually yesterday I made one, switched Citra with Amarillo, will see how it works out.

Improvising... I made this using 48 cans of Heineken N/A beer. I'm in a geographical location that doesn't allow alcohol. 48 x 12 oz cans = 4.5 Gal. I used the same hop schedule just didn't steep any grains.

At week 2 it smelled like piss. At week 4 it was much better. I bottled at week 7.

In any case, very drinkable session beer.

Last edited:
Back