American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would love to try this out, but i dont have Beersmith.
Can someone share how much in terms of lbs for all the ingredients ?
Thank you in advance!
:mug:

Interesting! I checked gravity today at 1 week and it was at 1.015, so I decided to throw in the dry hop addition. Since I had it I went with a 1oz addition of Citra instead of the 1.5oz of Chinook it calls for. Love the citra smell, hoping for great results. This is gonna be a Yuuge beer, 8.5% ABV and 10 oz of hops good golly!

Edit: transferred to keg today after 8 days hoping, wow it finished out at 1.012, 85% attenuation. Looks great smells great can't wait to try it in a couple days

The Citra turned out great in this recipe.

I recently brewed this recipe again but changed out some hops. Went with El Dorado, Mosaic, Azacca and Amarillo to go along with the simcoe. Went away from the chinook to avoid piney characters, I'm really going for a tropical vibe. I'll try to remember to update!

This sounds really good. However, I'm not brewing all grain yet and would be using extract for the base malt. So in that case is a 90 minute boil still necessary? If not what about the hop schedule? Would adding the 90 minute hops to the 60 minute hops make any difference?
Thanks for posting this recipe.

Gonna bang 10gal of this one out tonight. Been searching for a great citrusy IPA and this looks just amazing!

You guys think 23 days is good enough for grain to glass (got company showing up in Sept)? I am going to forgo the oak cubes since I don't have any.

You guys think 23 days is good enough for grain to glass (got company showing up in Sept)?

With a strong starter and hold yourself to a controlled plan to ferment out, dry hop, and keg you could definately achieve this.

Picked up the ingredients to make an all grain batch of this today. It's going to be the 2nd brew in my new grainfather. I didn't get the wood chunks mainly because I forgot but had been contemplating not using them. Will be my 1st brew using Simcoe and Amarillo. The house is going to smell so good!

Ingredients for this one are on the way. Looking for some advice though.

1. I have oak whiskey barrel dominoes. Will these be ok or do they need to be toasted? The chunks I have are charred from before they held whiskey.

2. I'm thinking of splitting the batch and putting a tonne of orange and grapefruit zest in secondary with the dry hops. Would this mess with the flavours too much or would it work? I'm thinking along the lines of BrewDogs Elvis Juice.

Any input appreciated!

You guys think 23 days is good enough for grain to glass (got company showing up in Sept)?

With a strong starter and hold yourself to a controlled plan to ferment out, dry hop, and keg you could definately achieve this.

I would think so. I kegged both my versions in under 14 days. Another week would be perfect. It does get better with age, but I doubt you'll be able to get it to last that long.

Mine went into the kegorator yesterday with CO2. Definitely gonna try some today even though it'll be somewhat flat. It's right at 4 weeks since brew day for me. The last sample I tasted was great even though warm and flat.

Bottled this a week ago, carbing up to 2.8 volumes is the plan. How long do people recommend conditioning this for? The samples I tasted were all harshly bitter so I'm assuming it will need time to mellow. Any advice/experience?

This recipe's hop additions are incredibly outdated, as are most IPA recipes on this site. I would research whirlpooling and hopstands, your IPA's and taste buds will thank you.

This recipe's hop additions are incredibly outdated, as are most IPA recipes on this site. I would research whirlpooling and hopstands, your IPA's and taste buds will thank you.

I've been reading up on the subject as of late especially after tasting what this process does to a beer from Veil Brewing in Richmond,VA. I have always whirlpooled at flameout but haven't done much hop additions followed by hopstands at lower temps. My question is how do you take a recipe like this and determine the hop schedule for a whirlpool/hopstand?

Hello everyone. I'm very excited about brewing this but still very much a beginner so I was hoping someone could help with the extract conversion for this recipe?

Do I just convert the 2-row and steep the other malts? What about the hops?

Thanks a lot!!

Hope this helps...
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/deschutes-fresh-squeezed-ipa-clone/

They are suggesting a mini-mash for extract. This means just mashing, in the referenced recipe the crystal (which doesn't need mashing) and the Munich (which does) while adding extract to substitute for the 2-row. This is easy and can be done in a pot on the stove and a thermometer.

To Quote:
Extract Option

Substitute 8.25 lb (3.74 kg) pale malt extract syrup for the pale two-row (In the brewer's association recipe, 11 lbs of 2-row). Mash Munich and crystal malts at 155°F (68°C) for 40 minutes, or until Munich malt reaches conversion. Drain, rinse, and dissolve extract completely before proceeding with boil.

-- You can do the same with the OP's recipe by maybe going with 9#-10# of extract and mashing the Cara Pils, C40, etc the same way.

Hope this helps...
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/deschutes-fresh-squeezed-ipa-clone/

They are suggesting a mini-mash for extract. This means just mashing, in the referenced recipe the crystal (which doesn't need mashing) and the Munich (which does) while adding extract to substitute for the 2-row. This is easy and can be done in a pot on the stove and a thermometer.

To Quote:
Extract Option

Substitute 8.25 lb (3.74 kg) pale malt extract syrup for the pale two-row (In the brewer's association recipe, 11 lbs of 2-row). Mash Munich and crystal malts at 155°F (68°C) for 40 minutes, or until Munich malt reaches conversion. Drain, rinse, and dissolve extract completely before proceeding with boil.

-- You can do the same with the OP's recipe by maybe going with 9#-10# of extract and mashing the Cara Pils, C40, etc the same way.

Awesome! thanks a lot!
So will everything else stay the same then, like the hop schedule?

Awesome! thanks a lot!
So will everything else stay the same then, like the hop schedule?

Assuming you hit similar gravity, sure. (And that is easier with extract) Extract is just pre-mashed and dried (to preserve it) malt. So when you substitute extract for a base malt, if you do it correctly, everything else should be the same.

Good luck with it. Fresh Squeezed is likely my favorite commercial beer.

Fred

1 oz. of American Medium Toast Oak Cubes is added at the same time you pitch your yeast. I did this the first time as an experiment and man I think it makes a contribution in smoothness and just enough of a hint in the taste.

Did Toast Oak Cubes soak in the whiskey?

I just pulled my first sample, 2 weeks after brewing on the 31st.
I used 10g of heavy toasted oak chips soaked in vodka that I racked onto before pitching, and today it was downright heavenly!

It was sweet and fruity, almost seemed like I was drinking OJ. I am dry hopping today for a week before racking into a keg, and Im very excited to begin drinking the finished product!

After being fairly sure that this recipe wasn't for Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, I was very surprised to find a sixer of said beer here in Reno and even more surprised to find how similar it tastes to my batch that I kegged this week.
I am planning on smuggling a bottle home so I can do a side by side. From what I think I can tell they have a very similar base flavor though my batch is significantly more hoppy all around

Glad to see this recipe is doing so well.. I wasnt the OP, but damn... Been making this beer for years now... And now that Im the brewer for a local brewery. And went to the Brewers guild. I make something similar to this 10bbls at a time... OMG... It is amazing...

Keep it up

Camper

Glad to see this recipe is doing so well.. I wasnt the OP, but damn... Been making this beer for years now... And now that Im the brewer for a local brewery. And went to the Brewers guild. I make something similar to this 10bbls at a time... OMG... It is amazing...

Keep it up

Camper

Brewed commercially with the oak in primary?

I used 10g of heavy toasted oak chips, so 1oz of medium toast chips should do nicely.
I didnt have any issues dumping the chips soaked in vodka into the primary either.

14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

Mash for 60 minutes at 152. 90 minute boil.

Hop Additions:

90 Min- .50 oz Chinook (11.5% AA)
.50 oz Simcoe (12% AA)

60 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

30 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

15 Min- .75 Simcoe
.75 Chinook
.50 Amarillo (11.5%)

10 Min- 1 oz. Cascade (5.8%)

O Min- .50 Chinook
.75 Simcoe

Dry Hop- 2 oz. Amarillo
1.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz Chinook

1 oz. of American Medium Toast Oak Cubes is added at the same time you pitch your yeast. I did this the first time as an experiment and man I think it makes a contribution in smoothness and just enough of a hint in the taste.

I did it the second time and got the same great results again. I only let it sit on the oak for 14-17 days until I'm ready to package the beer. Dry hops were all added to the primary after 7 days or obvious fermentation had settled down.

This recipe is based on the Green flash West Coast IPA on the Brewing Network "Can you Brew It" show. I changed around the hop schedule and made some additions and I can't get enough of this beer.

I've brewed it twice now and it is extremely drinkable. I brew a lot of IPA's but this is by far my favorite. The aroma is SO orange and citrusy. That's why I'm being a dork and calling it fresh squeezed.

If you give this one a try, you won't be disappointed.

Orange Aroma is what I'm sold on:D, what kind of a hint is being perceived from the oak addition?

How long's everyone dry hopping this for? I brewed it 10 days ago and dry hopped it 7 days after brewing since it was calmed down by then. Still haven't moved it from the primary-I'm thinking of racking it after the dry hops sit there for about a week-thoughts? Sample I took today is heavy with sediment so it's definitely going to need a rack or two before bottling, question is just timing...

I only use a secondary for lagering so can't really give you any advice.
I do have my own question about the dry hopping though. I would like to use something else other than the Amarillo. Anyone do that?
My options would be more cascade and Chinook. Simcoe, Columbus, Summit, El Dorado, Galaxy, Calypso, Vic secret, Ella, Topaz or Citra :tank:

I've modified this recipe to use only Citra and Simcoe since that's all I had lying around and left out the oak. I dry hopped with what I had left, which was ~30g of each, and it's coming along nicely. You have to like the light piney-ness of Simcoe, but it works for me.

I only use a secondary for lagering so can't really give you any advice.
I do have my own question about the dry hopping though. I would like to use something else other than the Amarillo. Anyone do that?
My options would be more cascade and Chinook. Simcoe, Columbus, Summit, El Dorado, Galaxy, Calypso, Vic secret, Ella, Topaz or Citra :tank:

well I got a half pound extra of Amarillo now so I think I'll give this a go early next year but will boil for 60 instead of 90 mins and just add the 60 and 90 min additions. I also have some 1318 London III yeast which I'm considering using or should I stick to the Chico yeast? o_O

:mug:

Latest posts

Back