Beer in the morning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
Has anybody else ever woken up and said "**** it, i'll have a high gravity beer for breakfast"? Just wondering...just pissed because i passed out and my friends ate all of the ribs i spent about 12 hours making yesterday, and i woke up at 4 and decided to enjoy the rest of their barley wine :ban:

P.S. - this is NOT a sign of alcoholism

Either you're a brave man, have a high alcohol tolerance, or that is some damn good barleywine. I'll wake up and drink something light but a barleywine in the morning? Though I don't care too much for big beers anyway.

p.s. nothing wrong with waking up in the morning and drinking a beer or 2 IMO. I do it on occasion. Anyone else?

its not damn good barley wine, it actually isnt barley wine i dont think its called old dominion millenium ale (brewed with honey) i think 10.5%...it just tasted like a barley wine so i called it that. I think i was just upset from my ribs being jacked :mad: ...and needed to ease the tension :rockin:

Nothing wrong with the hair of the dog. There's a reason Founders makes a brew called the Breakfast Stout. It's also a big beer, so no way you're alone on that one. Sorry about your ribs.

Yes sometimes on the day off I'll start early, however I usually go into it knowing that I'll be passed out on the couch by 5!!!

Too bad about the ribs...they didnt even save you a plate??

Intersperse beers with glasses of water, especially when standing by the smoker all day.

That sucks, but no one else to blame, you damn lush!;)

I cannot drink beer successfully before 5pm. It puts me to sleep.

...i passed out and my friends ate all of the ribs i spent about 12 hours making yesterday...

Those are fightin words around here. :)

I actually had a stout just a while ago, it was a little before noon so I guess that's "morning". I was watching manskirtbrewer's broadcast, and racking a keg, cleaning the lines, and I just couldn't resist. Plus I figure I had a clean palate and wanted to see how this stout was coming along. Taste was excellent, but still needs a tad more carbing.

There's nothing wrong with having a beer in the morning/afternoon as long as you're not a drunk tard. Moderation is the key to everything in life.

I personally don't find anything wrong with it, if you do it right. Eat some greasy meat and drink some water with it.

When I was in Germany, I saw guys drinking a tall glass of hefeweizen at 9am and reading the paper. This was no chopped liver hobo either - dude was in a business suit. There were others doing the same thing too.

Somewhat unrelated, but we drank at this biergarten that was along a bike and hiking trail and saw people get off their bikes and drink a tall (.5 liter) glass of Pils or hefeweizen and get back on the trail. No fufu bottles of water or Gaterade for those guys.

I say go for it if you can handle it/do it right.

TiberitsfiveoclocksomewhereBrew

I left kegs and eggs with college...That being said...a mid-day buzz helps "the grass look greener, and the sky look blue"er"...:) I rarely drink before noon (exception is a bloody mary when camping)...but I do enjoy a few in the sun on occasion...

Most beer competitions start at 9:00am so yeah I have done it but I do have to agree with other post that Im asleep by the afternoon...

I usually wait until noon or so. Beer doesnt sound all that good to me that early. That said, I drank a 12er of SN pale yesterday by 6pm and broke into my homebrew when I got home. I think I put back around 16 or so beers yesterday..

Cereal for Breakfast? Made with Barley and Oats? Of Course.

When you start drinking vodka for breakfast you have a real problem.

The USA is just way behind on how ETOH beverages are socialized.

I would have passed on the early AM drinking. However, if it were my ribs they ate, I would have cracked that corney and peed in it.

love drinking in the morning. nothing better than having a good buzz going on a bright sunny day.

of course i work 3rd shift so my drinking starts at 8am almost everyday...

Drinking before lunch is ok. That's just an aperitif. Drinking in the morning is only allowed if the beer contains coffee, oatmeal or cereal. You might also consider a glaas of fresh milk stout. BTW, if you haven't slept that night, it is not considered breakfast!

My "Hair of the Weezledog Stout" was built especially for early morning drinking or hair of the dog. It weighed in at 6.1% and had plenty of roast barley backed up with 1/4 teaspoon of coffee per bottle. Good stuff :)

We drink in the AM only on brewdays or when the party is still going from the night before or while on vacation.

Typical afternoon (before 3pm) of drinking, before really hitting the beer ;)

This past month I've had one or two beers in the morning, about once a week. I think the World Cup is a good enough excuse though:)

Special occasions like the two posts above me. World cup, Vacation, brew days (although I try and wait until the boil has started). This past year though me and the wife split a bomber of Founders Breakfast Stout for breakfast with our cinnamon rolls on Christmas Morning. I could see that as a nice tradition. Well, maybe not this year cause we'll have a 1 month old in combo with our then 2 year old, but the following year for sure.

I generally call those mornings my Jim Morrison mornings, they happen less often than they did when I was in my 20's but sometimes if I have the time and my to-do list can be ignored they are good to have. I have even been roaring drunk before the sun has fully risen but that is pretty rare these days (freshly drunked up not lingering drunk). Variety is the spice of life, and everything in moderation espescially moderation.

-dyln

It's still morning on the East Coast and I'm drinking right now. So sue me.

P.S. not only am I drinking, I'm wasted. Cheers.

I have even been roaring drunk before the sun has fully risen but that is pretty rare these days (freshly drunked up not lingering drunk).
rotfl.gif

Nice pics!!! :mug:

Thanks

I occasionally drink in the morning while brewing at my friend's place. I need to be able to drive so moderation is key. A couple beers, lunch and maybe one more. We normally brew between 9AM & 2PM. I'm still drinking coffee until 10 or 11AM though.

When I would travel to and from Germany working for a company with offices out of Munich, the first thing I would do upon getting off the plane was to have a Hefe either at the airport or hotel. It was usually before 9:00 am Munich time; however, my body was still eight hours earlier :) For the locals, this of course was not unusual!

When I would travel to and from Germany working for a company with offices out of Munich, the first thing I would do upon getting off the plane was to have a Hefe either at the airport or hotel.

Yep at Frankfurt we got off the plane and got a beer, the bar was full at 10am.

love drinking in the morning. nothing better than having a good buzz going on a bright sunny day.

of course i work 3rd shift so my drinking starts at 8am almost everyday...

Out of college, I worked 3rd shift as a FedEx package handler while I was applying for other jobs. I'd routinely stop at a gas station on the way to pick up some beers while people in suits were getting coffee. Working all night and then having a beer in the sun is a pretty fond memory.

Actually never, even on vacation I don't. I enjoy drinking much later in the day/evening and as someone else pointed out I don't want to be falling asleep by 5pm.

However, I have worked the graveyard shift and after a long days (nights) work I like to unwind and have a few. When on that schedule drinking in the morning is "normal". I used to drink a few, then make breakfast then go to bed around 1pm. Working that shift is all backward.

On deep sea fishing boats, I can have 3 before I would even be awake if I were at home. But normally, I never have on until about 11 or so. Nothing against, just not in the mood.

I have a neighbour who has a couple Gin and Tonics for breakfast everyday (unless he is working) then about a dozen beer over the rest of the day.

You know, it's only called alcoholism in America. It's perfectly acceptable in most parts of the world.

You know, it's only called alcoholism in America. It's perfectly acceptable in most parts of the world.

Maybe they have another name for it?

16 January 2007
Alcoholism in Russia

Alcoholism poses as much a national health crisis in Russia today as it did during the Soviet Union’s early 1980s, when up to 2 of every 5 men were considered alcoholics (no wonder, the state focused on the ballistics more than its citizens' problems then).

Today alcohol is said to play a role in the deaths of nearly a third of all Russians ( according to Alexander Nemtsov, director of the Moscow Psychiatry Institute and one of the country’s leading experts on alcoholism). Alcohol poisoning kills an estimated 40,000 Russians each year, compared with just 400 Americans annually (and maybe the same amount in Turkey; who think that death from a fake-raki is similar to martyrdom).

Alcohol abuse is believed to be one of the driving forces behind Russia’s shrinking population, which now stands at 143 million and is projected to plummet to 80 million by 2050. The average life expectancy for a Russian woman now is 72 — but for Russian men it has dropped to 58. So that is why you see a lot of old women around!

Alcohol abuse is believed to be one of the driving forces behind Russia’s shrinking population

I don't consider drinking in the morning to be alcohol abuse. But most Americans would.

I don't consider drinking in the morning to be alcohol abuse. But most Americans would.

No, if that is your schedule. Like I said before, I used to get off work at 7am so there was nothing wrong with that IMO. I had a guy tell me once he used to drink a bottle of wiskey every morning then go to work and had no problems. I am not so sure about that. He claims to be sober today.

Point is maybe the general population of other countries don't frown on drinking upon getting out of bed but it can and does cause problems. Starting your day off drunk? Can't see any good coming from that.

Starting your day off drunk? Can't see any good coming from that.

True, but that isn't what I am talking about. I don't get drunk but I do enjoy a beer at any time of the day without guilt.

Back