Adding yeast to high grav beer when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperial

Reaction score
I brew a log of high gravity beer (1.100 - 1.160, 10% ABV and up). I usually let my beer sit in carboys for a few months before bottling. After bottling, I've found I have to wait a few months before the carbonation reaches levels that satisfy me (this is as expected).

My question is this: should I add yeast when bottling my high grav beer? And if so, what kind of yeast is best?

I think the answer to the first question (should I add yeast) is 'yes' because of the long time spent in the carboy. I've read that all the yeast can flock out and you will have little to no yeast left to bottle condition unless you add yeast.

I have adding yeast when bottling. When I've added yeast, I've used Safale US-05.

I'm thinking there might be a better yeast to use (one that does better in high alcohol environments)?

Thanks for suggestions!

I'm partial to champagne yeast for drying out big beers, it is also good for carbonating them.

I'm partial to champagne yeast for drying out big beers, it is also good for carbonating them.

I've heard this could dry out the beer too much. Is this just a wives tale?

And how much to you add?

Thanks! Regardless of whether you get back to me, I will give champagne yeast a try.

Seem like Champagne yeast can work on sugar(s) that beer yeast can't. My Barley Wine is over carbonated. Though not bottle bomb... yet.

Since the plan of using Champagne yeast is a good one for carbonating, maybe it would be advisable to allow the Champagne yeast to work on the beer for a week or two prior to bottling with it...?

Back