Approaching All-Grain day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
I have my starting equipment.

I got a .5bbl keg from a guy at work, so as soon as I get around to having the machinist at school help me cut and weld it, I will have a nice pot.

I bought a 10 gal Rubbermaid Victory cooler and most of the fittings for it.

Now I need a burner, another pot and I am not sure what else...

Any advice on how to approach the final purchases of my AG adventure?

You don't mention transfer hoses and a false bottom/manifold/hose braid for your tun. I assume you need them yet. You'll need a good thermometer for monitoring mash temps, and to check wort temp when chilling. And, though you can get grains pre-milled, your brewing life will be infinitely better when you get your own mill. good luck with your first AG!

pick up some scent free Oxyclean (or generic version) and sponges from Wallmart, and order some Starsan from your favorite internet HBS. That should cover cleaning and sterilizing.

If you have a thermometer that you feel is pretty accurate check it. Boil some water and make sure it is reading 212 and get some water and ice in a cup and see how accurate it is a low temps as well.

I just did my first AG batch this weekend and and I was quite pleased. I noticed you did not mention a wort chiller. I used 50ft of 1/2 in flex copper and rigged and soldered some garden hose fittings. Went with a rib cage type design found on HBT. Other thing you will need is a full day. Took me 7 hrs plus 1 hr to clean it all up. GL

Depending on your cooling solution, you'll need to get the hosing with the appro. temperature ratings.

You only need a bucket that will hold your runnings, no need for another pot. I used an old brew bucket until I got my second keg.

BKF is what I use to clean scorch marks and other heavy staining from my brew pot.

Ditto on getting a reliable thermometer. AG revolves around temperature control.

Latest posts

Back